Friday, March 31, 2006

The Top 5

I'll bet you can't even believe we made it to this can you? Finally, after she bopping in our sunglasses at night while passing strangers played night moves when the tide was high, we have come to the top 5 singles of the 80s and you know what that means, that's right - the #1 Single Of The 1980s is in here, so proceed with caution...

5. I GOT YOU - Split Enz
(Neil Finn)
A&M single #2252 (US) / #7546 (UK)
Chart Debut: August 23, 1980 (US)/ August 16, 1980 (UK)
Chart Position: #53 US / #12 UK

In the beginning there was video - at the birth of MTV in August of 81, only a handful of artists had gone to the video arena and made themselves a video of their latest single. The idea would explode shortly but at the time of its birth, there weren't too many videos to watch. In fact, I'd be very interested to know just how many videos MTV had at the time, I know the first video ever played was the Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" followed by the second video - Pat Benatar's "You Better Run" but after that I'm at a loss. What I'm quite sure of, however is that the Split Enz and this ultra cool new wave classic had to have been in the first 20. I remember seeing the video over and over and actually got quite excited when I would see Neil Finn lying in that bed, as I knew for the next three and half minutes I'd be in a bliss. "I got you/ that's all I want/ I won't forget/ that's a whole lot..." one of my all time fav opening lines but it's nothing compared to the chorus - "I don't know why sometimes I get frightened/ you can see my eyes/ you can tell that I'm not lying.." Incidentally, this little ditty brought me rave reviews on the Couer d'Alene, Idaho karaoke circuit. Relive the video here!

4. HE COULD BE THE ONE - Josie Cotton
(Bobby & Larson Paine)
Elektra single #47481 (US)/ #3414 (UK)
Chart Debut: August 21, 1982 US
Chart Position: #74 US (Mainstream Rock #34)

While Josie's "Johnny Are You Queer?" is the song she'll forever be known for, it's actually her second single "He Could Be The One" that not only opitimizes that 80s sound but makes you take notice from the opening chords and keeps your attention through all glorious 3 minutes of this gem. "Yesterday I met a guy/ the kind you dream about at night/ He said "come on let's take a ride" and I said okaaaay..." The innocence of the early 80s, the fun of the Valley girl hitting the mall, the Hollywood kids pogoing to new wave and goth all in the same two step, upturned collars and headbands - it's all right here in this song. Josie Cotton is and will always be to me - the 80s personofied. And even the Pansy Division cover with its turn on queer punk rock makes you realize just how timeless a classic "He Could Be The One" is.


3.HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT-Pat Benatar
(Eddie Schwartz)
Chrysalis single #2464 (US) / #2452 (UK)

Chart Debut: October 18, 1980 US
Chart Position: #9 US

When I was but a wee tyke, my pal Bobby Hallas came over to my house toting his brand new 45 - it was this classic Pat Benatar ditty. At first I didn't know what to think. I looked at the cover and thought she was intriquing enough but in my little mind, I couldn't fathom why a woman would have the name Pat. I knew a ton of Pats who were boys, but had yet to meet a woman with the moniker. Little did I know that Pat as in the female Benatar would turn my life completely around. Bobby put the needle on the record and I flipped out. It was a rocking little song with such catchy lyrics, I just knew everyone in the world would be singing it forever more. And I wasn't wrong.

Within days, it seemed Pat was everywhere. I ran out and got the 45 for myself. I played it repeatedly including the glorious "Prisoner Of Love" which was on the other side. When I went to my cousin's house I discovered that she too had the "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" 45 so I made her play it over and over. My aunt had a wood burning stove in their living room and it was set up on a stage like platform, so I thought it was only perfect that I should use that stage and entertain all the relatives with my lively interpretation of Pat Benatar. Paula put on the record, I started my Benatar moves, sang all the words with just as much gusto as my little boy frame could muster, "Well you're a real tough cookie with a long history/ of breaking little hearts like the one in me (take your thumb and point it at yourself for effect)/ well that's okay let's see how you do it/ put up your dukes and let's get down to it.." (Put up your fists and fire away!) Needless to say, I was amazing and everyone loved me.

I immediately had to run out and get the whole album - you know just to show up Bobby Hallas. As we entered Prange Way, I found out in great horror that Pat's album was sold out, they had two 8 tracks left of the parent album Crimes Of Passion. By now I'm sure you all realize I bought that 8 track and listened to it constantly. Bobby would come over and we would act out videos - you should've seen the interpretation of "Hell Is For Children" and "Prisoner Of Love" I played out, but it all came down to "Hit Me With Your Best Shot."

A few weeks later, my aunt Carol showed up with Pat's previous album In The Heat Of The Night for me. As it turned out, my cousin Paula was once again in the midst and we ran upstairs and put the album on. Imagine my surprise to hear "Heartbreaker" and "We Live For Love" realizing I did know those ditties. I can honestly say, that was the day I realized Pat Benatar would be in my life forever. She hit me with her best shot and I didn't even bother to flinch. Pat didn't do a video for the song but here she is singing it live circa 1983.

2. CALL ME - Blondie
(Deborah Harry/Giorgio Moroder)
Chrysalis single #2414 (US)/(UK)
Chart Debut: March 8, 1980 (US)/ April 12, 1980 (UK)
Chart Position: #1 US/ #1 UK

Before Benatar came into my life, Debbie, Jimmy, Clem, Chris, Nigel & Frank were there - keeping me entertained with the Parallel Lines and Eat To The Beat albums. In the spring of 1980 "Call Me" was released and completely redefined what a soundtrack song should sound like. Recorded for the movie American Gigalo, the song is a hybrid of punk/new wave and dance - you can't (like Debbie) put a label onto it. All you can do is sit back and enjoy how glorious a song really can be. Originally producer Giorgio Moroder had approached Stevie Nicks to sing the song for the movie - the title at the time was "Man Machine" when Stevie declined, my girl got involved and she took it to the Blondie heights that it has become.

From the frantic drum roll into the electronic backbeat, Debbie cooly enters, "color me your color baby/ color me your car" why you ask? Who cares, just continue listening as Debbie jumps in, "Call Me!" followed by the background boys reinstating her plea. It's classic, it's great, it hit #1 in both countries and was the biggest single of 1980. Need we really discuss any more?
Watch the video.

and before I give in and give you the very best song of the 80s - According to Bradley of course I think I'll let you call me and take a guess, come on hit me with your best shot, what could it be? who could be the one? Well hopefully I got you right where I want you and you'll come back tomorrow for one more little gander at the top 100 Singles of the 1980s! I'm just kidding, here you go....


and the TOP SINGLE OF THE 1980s According to Bradley is

"moving forward using all my breath
making love to you was never second best..."

I'll stop the world and melt with you


that's right

#1 I MELT WITH YOU - Modern English
(Modern English)
Sire/4AD single #29775 (US)/ 4AD single #212 (UK)

Chart Debut: April 2, 1983 US
Chart Position: #78 US

First of all, I'm sure you're all quite amazed that it wasn't my beloved Debbie or Pat that made it to #1, but in dictating what I thought was the top single of the 1980s, I took a few things into consideration, like not hurting my girls feelings, and of course what song I thought optimized the decade of the 1980s. I love "I Melt With You" and always have, from that very first time I ever heard way back when I was little. The song probably played like once on my radio station in Wausau, Wisconsin, but thankfully just like the classic Josie songs mentioned, director Martha Coolidge put this ditty into her movie Valley Girl. Not only did she put it in the film, it pretty much became the theme song of the flick. Being heard through all poignant parts of the film, the creepy apocolyptic love song turned into a sweet love song of two young LA kids who were meant to be together.

Musically, a song as good as this could only come out of the 80s, the drum beat, the synthesized back hooks, the oh so English male vocals; and most importantly (to me anyway).. what other decade would be so bold to create a love story where the lead characters love for each other is set amidst the somewhat disgusting yet totally alluring idea of stopping the world and melting? Pure pop genius, pure new wave, pure 80s and in my opinion the Top Single Of The 1980s!

Here's to you Modern English, you may have not ever hit the top 70, you may have never even scored in your homeland, and you may never had made another hit but you gave the 80s this gem, and forever and ever, I'll stop the world and melt with you... Watch the video~

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home