Sunday, April 09, 2006

In Rotation


So it's probably no secret that I love my music - I spend more money than I care to admit at the record store. In fact, all of my savings have gone into CDs - the ones you buy at Tower Records! So with this new series, I thought I'd share what I am buying and listening to - and today we have one of my recent purchases, just released last Tuesday!

At one time, the Pink force was lumped together with Brittney, Jessica and the like, but since her debut in 2000, she has constantly impressed not only me, but the critics alike.

Doing a 180 in music styles with Mizundastood, and then bringing in Rancid to help her with my favorite release Try This - Pink has continued to amaze me with her voice, her attitude and her take on multiple genres of pop music.

With I'm Not Dead, the whole thing continues. Dropping most of the hard rock feel of Try This, she doesn't go into dance mode or even dance pop, instead she creates a hybrid of everything and most importantly doesn't lose one ounce of that Pink punk spunk. With the lead off single "Stupid Girls" her attitude shines through the pop blend but the other songs combine both her need to express herself and to indulge in various music stylings. Bringing on the Indigo Girls for the mostly acoustic and severely scathing "Dear Mr. President", Pink and the girls force feed Bush some medicine ("What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away/ and what kind of father would hate his own daughter if she were gay/ I can just imagine what the First Lady has to say/ You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine..."). On the poppiest of the bunch "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" we are led into the all too familiar mode of wanting to be alone while wanting to be with your lover - "All I ask for is one fucking hour." There's the tender ballads that Pink makes all her own as she even has a conversation with her 13 year old self. There's also fun little tracks where the brunt of Pink's wrath is her own self worth and in sarcastic tones, Pink can celebrate money and fame then turn around and denounce - which may seem like a jumbled mess on paper, but when she pulls it off it says tons about her talent. The critics on this one are not wrong - this is one hell of an album and I can't recommend it enough.

Also on rotation today- The Sounds "Dying To Say This To You" (look for review soon), Stevie Nicks "Rock A Little", a mixed up mash of songs for my pal Patrick entitled "Silvery Rain", Robbie Williams "Intensive Care", and Deborah Harry "Debralicious - Deborah Harry Rare" (a bubbatunes compilation)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home