Tuesday, July 24, 2007

BubbaTUNESday

Well I am finally able to sit and listen to some new CDs and let me tell you there is some good shizz out there, so lets look at a few random CDs I have in heavy rotation at the house of Bradley -

Dresden Dolls - Yes Virginia (2006)
My pal Patrick told me I would love this album and I wanted to run out and buy it but everytime I saw it, it was too frickin' expensive (I have a strange no over $10 rule when I go uber shopping) so I never bought it, though I did get a download of "Sing" and really liked it. But then Dresden Dolls were tapped to do the True Colors tour with my gals Cyndi Lauper and a gal I like to call Debbie Harry so I thought I should check them out and before I even did, a new video for their song "Shores Of California" came out and I was officially hooked. I bought the album and haven't stopped listening to it. In fact every song is just as good if not better than the one that proceeded it. Full of sarcastic humor and tongue in cheek (I think) attitudes, there's a full blown piano pounding on almost every song and the incredible vocals of lead singer Amanda Power, the songs just blow into existance and stay there. The best cuts are "Shores Of California" (see video here), "Sing", "Backstabber", "First Orgasm" - though I must say every single song is excellant.

Rooney - Calling The World (2007)
This puppy just came out last Tuesday and it's been on rotation since. I knew I would love it, as I am addicted (still) to the band's debut album from a few years ago. Full of sing songy choruses and some self depreciating lyrics, this group of young musicians constantly surprise me. They are so talented in a land full of some not so talented young people in the music business. Every song is catchy, and not sugary syrupy silly, but actually intelligent. In fact the musicianship of Rooney always throws me for a loop because they are so good. There isn't a song I don't like on this CD and these days that's a hard thing to say. Best cuts: "Calling the World", "When Did Your Heart Go Missing" (see video here) , "Love Me Or Leave Me"


Suzanne Vega - Beauty & Crime (2007)
Another brand new release but one I had no intenion of actually buying until I heard the thing. I've always liked Suzanne but felt she was fairly hit or miss. "Luka" is excellant as is most of the album that it came from, "Left Of Center" from Pretty In Pink is one of my all time favorite songs ever and the brilliant rendition of DNA on "Tom's Diner" sticks with you long after you've heard it but her kind of wimpy pouty vocals wear a little thin I think on a full album, but then in 1994 came the album 99.9 (it's 99.9 Farenheit degrees but I can't find the frickin' degree symblol?) and I fell in love with it. Instead of acoustic guitars and her voice, she amped up the music with thumping pumps of electronic jambles and I loved every single song on the album. After that I once again lost interest but as Beauty & Crime was coming out, I read a review and interview with her, comparing the album to 99.9 and the fact that this was a record years in the making, since 9/11 in fact and being a New York poetess Vega had a few things to talk about, including her brother's death and her love/affection for the Big Apple. All very pondering yet full of music and fun little backing vocals, the album is great from start to finish. Again, there aren't any songs I dislike, some are obviously better than others but it's a really good album through out and I highly suggest you check it out. Best cuts: "New York Is A Woman" (see performance here), "Zephyr & Me", "Bound"
Mandy Moore - Wild Hope (2007)
This is a strange one to talk about, but not for the reasons you may think; First and foremost, I was completley oblivious to the music of Ms. Moore except for her rendtion of "Stupid Cupid" in Princess Diaries and the only thing I really knew she had done that had impressed me was her hilarious stint in the film "Saved" where she whips a bible full of "God's love" at someone's head. But a surprise package came on Friday from my pal Shae who sent Wild Hope to me with a little note that said Mandy co-wrote all the songs and he hoped I gave it a chance. Now how could I refuse? I mean it was brand new and he had just sent it to me for the heck of it. So I opened it up, put it in the player and immediately wondered how I was going to tell Shae the album didn't do a thing for me, but guess what? It did do something for me. In fact, it really surprised me. In the days of La Lohan and Brittney, not to mention the Simpsons and every other teeny would be bopper, it surprised the crap out of me that the girl actually has talent. I had to look up and see how this whole thing came about, and as it turns out she was always a singer and her Disneyfied and other acting gigs came about because of her music. She also has what could be her biggest hinderance or her biggest asset - she is usually quite below the radar when it comes to the young Hollywood girls. Probably cause she's at home writing sentimental and actually interesting music. From the cover artwork it would appear she's trying to show she's a grown woman who has ideas and thoughts to share, and she actually does. I'm not going to say Wild Hope is the greatest album I've heard, but it is good. In fact she reminds me of a few other singers, none of whom I can put my finger on of course. There's a bit of country in some of the songs, though it's that new country of gals like Faith Hill that you hear in the arrangements. But the most important parts to me are the singer and the lyrics and she really did speak to me. Her voice is kind of moody though it goes to those higher notes on almost all the songs - she isn't yelling at me about what a shit I have for a girlfriend (Or stealing other people's songs for that matter). The mellowness of the CD is actually quite refreshing. Shae said this was her Carole King/Carly Simon album and I can see what he was getting at - it's personal and sweet, though not sugarly. She's an adult contemporary singer but in a Carly Simon 70's era way, not the Celine Dion/Michael Bolton crap. All in all, it really impressed me and I am going to continue to listen it, and to Shae I thank you, because I know there wouldn't have been a chance in Hell this album would have ended up on my radar without his gift of music. Best cuts: "Most Of Me", "Few Days Down", "Can't You Just Adore Her" (my favorite) -hear it at You Tube

Hairspray Soundtrack (2007)
This is of course mostly a rehash of the Broadway musical songs sung by the cast of the film as to the cast of the Broadway show, but there are a number of surprises - first, let me just say I saw the film on Friday and frickin' loved it. I think it's the only time where I love the original film, the play and the movie based on the play - it's excellant. John Travolta actually did an awesome job as Edna, of course Michelle Pfeiffer rocks my world, Nikki Blonsky is a great Tracy, and though I hate him as a celebrity Zac Efron was a fun Link (he's not hot to trot Michael St. Gerard but oh well). The soundtrack for the film has all the songs from the play even though they aren't all featured in the film - 'for story development' reasons "Cooties" and "Mama I'm A Big Girl Now" were dropped from the film, but they are both on this soundtrack and they're awesome. "Cooties" is done in a poppy almost hip hoppy version by Aimee Allen while "Mama..." is sung by all three Tracy Turnblads - that's right it's Nikki Blonsky, Maria and the frickin' original Rikki Lake singing their hearts out. It's awesome. The writers of the music and lyrics also decided to add a few new songs - "Ladies Choice" is Link's replacement for "It Takes Two" from the play (Zac does perform 'it takes two' on the soundtrack CD), and I have to say it's a lot of fun - very Elvis-y, however the whole back beat is pretty much "Born To Hand Jive" and I have to wonder when the lawyers are going to get involved with that. Another major highlight is that Edna is no longer Harvey Feinsten so I can actually enjoy his singing, and then there's frickin' Queen Latifah whose "Big Blonde & Beautiful" is great but who's appearance on the show's biggest number "You Can't Stop The Beat" isn't as good as the play's version but that's okay because her take on "I Know Where I've Been" sends chills down my spine it's so friggin' good... and of course this year's Velma Von Tussle, Miss Michelle Pfeiffer actually rocks it out on "Miss Baltimore Crabs" and her appearance on "Big Blonde & Beautful (Reprise)" though you really have to see her in this part of the film to really appreciate it. I love the whole soundtrack album and will probably end up playing it more than the Broadway soundtrack I own.

They Might Be Giants - The Else (2007)
Everyone I knew in 1990 had the album Flood with all of the cultish, somewhat hilarious classics that came from this group of nuts and I hadn't even really thought of them for years when I stumbled across their new album. A few listens of the first song "I'm Impressed" had me a little excited, instead of silly pop or strange ethereal words, it was a real song and a good song at that. The boys were actually saying something, so I found the second song "Take Out The Trash" and the next "Upside Down Frown" and by then I was hooked. I can't even believe how good all of The Else really is. Again, I like every single song on here. Yet again some are better than others so it's not perfect but there aren't a lot of perfect albums out there and when an album can grab me with even 3 songs in a row, I consider it a success. And should long time fans or even remotely loving fans, be worried forget about it - the sense of humor, irony and sarcasm are all still there. I guess, they, like the rest of us, just grew up. Definitely get your hands on The Else, or else. Best Tracks: "I'm Impressed" (see video here), "Climbing The Walls", "The Shadow Government", "Take Out The Trash".




With anything good has to come some eh, and some downright ick, so I won't go into too much detail but latest releases by someone as imporant and interesting as Prince should really get you excited but after hearing every song on his latest album Planet Earth, I have to say I'm very disappointed. Now in defense of the little purple one I've never been a huge fan, in fact I think I only own a Best Of compilation so maybe he's just not my cup of tea, but I thought the whole thing was just a great big yawner and now we know why he was giving away all those free copies. Here's a video someone made for "Guitar" which is as radical as Planet Earth gets.

I am in love with the song "The Way We Get By" by Spoon and critics love the band so I was uber excited for their new album with the fun title of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, but now I know it's just short for Gag. I wanted to love this album, I wanted to be hip and cool and hang with the hipsters, but alas I can not. Now again don't let me dissaude you from stating your case for Spoon, it's just I'm not feeling it - for your own reference here's the video for "The Ghost Of You Lingers"

And to really prove my point of being completely hip-less, I tried The Editors, another critical darling whose new album An End Has A Start is supposed to bring them world wide fame. Well if it does, I for one will be completey impressed because The Editors don't seem to be offering anything new in terms of music. I've heard it all before, and don't really need to hear anymore. I'm saying it's a bad album because there are a number of catchy little songs (same with Spoon), it's just that they were just as catchy when other bands did them five years ago. Oi, to the pessimistic one inside of me... You can watch the video for The Editors "Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors" and I guess I'm off to listen to Mandy Moore.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 7:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger OrangeTV said...

OK, I LOVE the Editors album, but I was way heavy into the first album two years ago so maybe that's why. I think the Suzanne Vega is pleasant but very boring. I just can't STAND Rooney for some reason and the new Prince is about 30% good, nowhere near as hot as 3121 or Musicology. I DO really dig the new TMBG, their best in many moons and I have not heard the Mandy Moore (a little scared) but I'm going to fire up the Rhapsody and check it out right now...

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 7:31:00 PM PDT, Blogger OrangeTV said...

Oh, and I really WANT to like the Spoon album, but it has too many Billy Joel moments and you know how I feel about the music of that bloated, overrated old cow. It is a good record though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home