Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Things 4

It's Thursday so it's time to look at a few of the things that keep me always so upbeat and perky all the time -

so let's start with the booze - yes it's true that's usually how I keep upbeat and happy. I'm practically always three sheets to the wind.. and for a measly $2.99-$5 so could you - if you trot on down to your local liquor store and get you some of JW Morris' White Merlot - this stuff takes like fruit juice but with a bit of a kick. I discovered it when the Leivas' had a bottle and now every time I'm there, they have at least half a case sitting in the garage refrigerator just awaiting my arrival. Which reminds me, how is it in the movies you always see some drunken upset fool walking around with half a bottle of wine - like that's all it takes for them to become a blithering idiot.. like I can relate to the blithering idiot part but if I were in the scene, there'd be a case of empty bottles strewn around me...

What goes better with wine than a little Alanis Morrisette? No, I'm serious what does? I had heard pretty good things about Alanis' new album Flavors Of Entanglement and so I went and got it the day it came out, and it's been on rotation ever since. I swear to both of you - my readers, this is her best album since Jagged Little Pill - and it's not even all guts and roll like that one - but each song is really good - the single is "Underneath" and if I had my way - they'd shoot out a video and single for "Straitjacket" as that is by far the coolest track on here - there's a bit of everything on here but most of all, her little bits of loathing, loving, betraying and forgiveness is catchy as all hell. Best cuts - "Straitjacket", "Moratorium", "In Praise Of The Vulnerable Man". Download at Amazon.

and finally a guilty pleasure - I didn't want to watch it - but I did - I didn't want to like it - but I did - I didn't want to get sucked into the plots - but I did. It's all true, I am (gulp!) an avid watcher of The Secret Life Of The American Teenager on ABC Family, but before you judge, let me just say there is more sex talk in this show than there was on all one hundred seasons of Knots Landing.

The whole thing revolves around a group of students in high school - several different clicks who are all ending up coming together - what you assume to be the main storyline is about young 15 year old Amy who is knocked up - and what got me to watch in the first place is the fact her mother is Molly Ringwald! I know, do you feel old now? Good!

All of the characters are so great, from the slutty and bitchy (and honest) Adrian (whom I relate to the most), to the good guy's best pals and onto Amy's superb and ultra cool dead pan sister - this show is really good. It takes me a glass of JW Morris and an Alanis song to committ to watching it, but then I can't take my eyes off of it, and I love it all over again. Check it out and then you can judge me...

So those are a few of my favorite things - how about you?

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 2:32:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you only see them staggering with a half bottle of wine because they are earth-friendly & recycle each bottle of wine as they empty it. That's what I do. err....that's what I would do if I was going to drink. you know me, though - I don't touch the stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home