Tuesday, June 02, 2009

BubbaTUNESday - bub137 Tim Curry - Read My Lips

It took me a while to track down a copy of our latest Bubbatunes addition but by golly I did it. Last year we gave you the Tim Curry albums Fearless and Simplicity and now we are onto the one that started it all - Tim's 1978 debut full lengthed album Read My Lips.

bub 137 - TIM CURRY - READ MY LIPS
(June 3, 2009)

Read My Lips has never had an official CD release so it was high time you were able to get all of Tim's eclectic hook on rock. According to Tim Curry uber fans this is by and far their favorite of Tim's 3 albums. I'm not sure if I agree but I can say it is definitely worht a few spins. The highlight of the album is the reggae version of The Beatles "I Will" which was released as a single but didn't do anything on the charts.

The lead off track is an interesting little piece of pop/rock written by Carole Pope who had a few songs in the 70s and 80s, the lyrics are a bit insane but it is a fun listen. "Wake Nicodemus" is a Scottish folk tale set to some insane music while "Alan" is a cool ballad that seems to be about Alan Ginsberg but I could be wrong - it's definitely about a writer who has been in a bar fight. The best of the ballads is "Sloe Gin" - an excellant tune that makes you feel drunk and lost in the city. The cover of Joni Mitchell's "All I Want" is the most straight up rocker here. The other interesting takes on covers include the final cut, "Anyone Who Had A Heart" that Tim pulls off just as good as any female diva has done and the Al Jolson imitation on "Harlem On My Mind" is a lot of fun.

Read My Lips is actually a pretty interesting listen though I have to admit "Brontasaurus" is a little too out there for even me, but as a whole album it certainly adds a certain cool art rock element to the album. Along with 1979's Fearless (which boasted his one hit single 'I Do The Rock') and the rock of 1981's Simplicity - you could have one fun little Tim Curry listening party.

The only official CD ever released of Tim's music is a 1980's compilation that included songs from all of his three albums plus live versions of Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate" and a live version of "Alan" so we have included them here as bonus tracks.

TIM CURRY - READ MY LIPS (bub 137)
Tracks: 01. Birds Of A Feather 02. Wake Nicodemus 03. I Will 04. Brontasaurus 05. Alan 06. All I Want 07. Sloe Gin 08. Harlem On My Mind 09. Anyone Who Had A Heart
Bonus Tracks: 10. Alan (Live) 11. Simple Twist Of Fate (Live)

For a limited time UPDATED LINK -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v2tagq

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 7:48:00 AM PDT, Blogger OrangeTV said...

This is a terribly cool one. I have this on cassette and love it. I want a Bubbatunes copy next time a package floats it's way to I-dee-ho.

 
At Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 7:48:00 AM PDT, Blogger OrangeTV said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Monday, June 8, 2009 at 6:52:00 PM PDT, Blogger swivek said...

You got it.. there's a pretty cool one coming up this week too

 
At Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 1:04:00 AM PST, Blogger Kimota said...

Dear Bradley:

I just stumbled upon your blog by chance and found the "Times Square" OST. Many thanks for making that available!

Please, please, pretty please re-post your Tim Curry BubbaTunesDay listings (Read My Lips, Fearless, and Simplicity).

As a huge Tim Curry fan, it would be so cool to have these albums, as they are not available commercially any longer.

(I have the "Best of" CD, but, honestly, can you ever have ENOUGH Tim Curry?)

Thanks again, Bradley! You SO rock!

 
At Monday, December 7, 2009 at 5:23:00 PM PST, Blogger swivek said...

These links are still good for Simplicity: http://rapidshare.com/files/121577856/bub125_Tim_Curry_-_Simplicity.zip.html

and for Fearless:
http://rapidshare.com/files/121574836/bub124_Tim_Curry_-_Fearless.zip.html

 
At Monday, December 7, 2009 at 5:44:00 PM PST, Blogger swivek said...

There's a new link on the post for Read My Lips, but here it is as well: http://www.sendspace.com/file/v2tagq

 

Post a Comment

<< Home