Thursday, June 26, 2008

Clap Clap Xanadu Clap Clap

The brand new Xanadu DVD I talked about yesterday comes with the added bonus of having the soundtrack on CD - but alas it still isn't the Xanadu soundtrack that needs to be released. Where is "Fool Country"? Where is "Drum Dreams" with all those Xanadu claps and roller skating stomps? Oh I know - they're on a blast from the bubbatunes past - So let's revisit my ultimate Xanadu soundtrack - The Mount Olympus Special Edition!


bub33R Xanadu Soundtrack - The Mount Olympus Special Edition (1980; June 12, 2007)

Way back years ago, around the time of bub33, our 33rd CD, I decided I wanted a special version of the Xanadu Soundtrack. The original album is available on CD and in fact it was even remastered in a special import edition, however neither of those releases contained the songs that weren't included in the original soundtrack. Most highly missed was Olivia Newton-John's "Fool Country" a rock/country hybrid that she sings at the end of the flick, the song was released as a B-side to the single "Magic" in the US and the single "Xanadu" in the UK and it finally made it onto a remastered Olivia collection a few years ago but it's never been offered on the Xanadu soundtrack. So I added it back in 2004 when I did the original bubbatunes version, also on that version were too completely lame remixes of the title track sung not by Olivia but by some wanna be disco diva.

Then something surprising happened, actually two surprising things happened. 1. They, they being the powers that be decided to turn the great cheez fest known as Xanadu the film into a Broadway play and 2. One of the all time Xanadu fans on a my space group I belong to made his version of the Ultimate Xanadu Soundtrack which not only included "Fool Country" but also included "Drum Dreams" by ELO which is the song that has all the hand claps and the "Xanadu" chants in it, he also found a different version of ELO tracks "Don't Walk Away" and "The Fall" and a Jeff Lynne sung version of the title track.

He also included dialogue from the film into his soundtrack. The most impressive thing he did was take the whole 11 minute segment from the end of the film and put it on the soundtrack - that segment begins with the 'drum dreams' before breaking into "Xanadu" then a tap dance by Olivia, which moves into "Fool Country" then another rousing ending version of "Xanadu" before Olivia as Kira the Muse disappears into a neon glow back up into the Heavens. It's awesome and I wanted it. So I went to his limited download sight and got the songs I didn't have including another Olivia song that never made it to the soundtrack, her version of "You Made Me Love You" which she sings in a flashback part the Danny (Gene Kelly) character is having.

I decided to put together my own version of an ultimate Xanadu soundtrack using cues from this big fan. I included those rare songs that weren't included, put together my own version of the Xanadu Montage (by using the remastered versions of the original songs rather than the somewhat sketchy sound from the film) and voila! we came up with the new edition of the Xanadu soundtrack. To make it even more appealing, I took the songs that are put together with dialogue and the Xanadu Montage and put them in their original individual parts as bonus tracks, plus the whole thing actually goes in order as the movie presents them so by the ending credits (Closing Fanfare) you feel like you just watched the flcik. So with all that crap in your head and under your roller skates, I give you the track list to bub33R Xanadu - The Mount Olympus Special Edition.

Xanadu Soundtrack - The Mount Olympus Special Edition (bub33R)
Track List: 01. Opening Fanfare/I'm Alive (Barry DeVorzon/ELO) 02. dialogue - 'hey it's that crazy girl' 03. Magic (Olivia) 04. dialogue - 'hey clarinet' 05. You Made Me Love You (Olivia)06. Whenever You're Away From Me (Gene Kelly & Olivia) 07. Suddenly (Cliff Richard & Olivia) 08. Dancin' (Olivia & The Tubes) 09. dialogue - 'a little pizzazz' 10. All Over The World (ELO) 11. Don't Walk Away (ELO) 12. dialogue - 'kissed by a muse'/ The Fall (ELO) 13. Suspended In Time (Olivia) 14. Xanadu Montage: I - dialogue 'maybe just one moment' II - Drum Dreams (ELO) III - Xanadu (Olivia & ELO) IV - Tap Dance Interlude V - Fool Country (Olivia) VI - Xanadu (Reprise) (Olivia & ELO)/ Kira's Ascent 15. dialogue - 'oh miss' / Closing Fanfare (Barry DeVorzon)
Bonus Tracks: 16. I'm Alive (ELO) 17. Don't Walk Away (Alternate) (ELO) 18. The Fall (Demo) (ELO) 19. Xanadu (Jeff Lynne) 20. Fool Country (Olivia) 21. Drum Dreams (ELO) 22. Xanadu (Olivia & ELO)

and for a limited time:

Olivia Newton-John - Fool Country
Xanadu Montage

Download Xanadu - Mount Olympus Edition here

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 6:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger UniversalHorror said...

XANADU
- The Unofficial Complete Soundtrack

 
At Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 10:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

OK...this is the coolest thing I have found in a long time! I actually made my family take me to see this movie when it came out in the theater...they hated me for it, but I loved it!!! I watched it whenever it comes on, still have the original vinyl from 1980, the first CD and remastered...the VHS and DVD. I love the final mix, which is incredibly hard to find! Thank you from one fan to another!

Loving Xanadu from its birthplace LA!
Rae

 
At Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 10:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

OK...this is the coolest thing I have found in a long time! I actually made my family take me to see this movie when it came out in the theater...they hated me for it, but I loved it!!! I watched it whenever it comes on, still have the original vinyl from 1980, the first CD and remastered...the VHS and DVD. I love the final mix, which is incredibly hard to find! Thank you from one fan to another!

Loving Xanadu from its birthplace LA!
Rae

 

Post a Comment

<< Home