Tuesday, June 10, 2008

BubbaTUNESDAY - bub124 and bub125

That's right we have a two-fer for you - no it's not Taco Tuesday instead it's Timmy Tuesday - two lovely new Bubbatunes from the erstwhile crazed Mr. Body from my fav movie Clue, though some might know him from another little film he did a few years before -

that's right it's Tim Curry kiddies - yay!

bub124 TIM CURRY - Fearless
Sometime around 1978 Tim decided it was time he put that deep voice to vinyl and released an album called FrankNFurter sings - no, I'm just kidding, it was actually called Read My Lips and I couldn't find it anywhere. But The Leivas insisted Tim did some albums and remembered having a great version of "Summer In The City" by Tim so I started tracking down the vinyl. The first one I found didn't include "Summer.." and it wasn't Read My Lips but it is an album The Leivas also had - our first of our two-fer Fearless.

It's an interesting little combination of songs that came out in 1979 - a louder rocking song combining Tim's deep voice with his strangeness - the opening cuts "Right On The Money" and "Hide This Face" are both strangely alluring though it's the single "I Do The Rock" that really gets things rolling - "Edith Sitwell giving readings/ 14 Moscow Road/ Osbert giving champagne parties/ Sachi's got a cold/ Gertrude's hanging pictures/ Alice is making tea/ Me I do the only thing that still makes sense to me/ I do the rock..." It was his one and only hit and it's something everyone should own.

The rest of Fearless keeps up in pretty much the same vein though we do get a couple of soulful ballads (in a sense) "No Love In The Street" and "SOS" are both really good and almost as good as "I Do The Rock". While "Something Short Of Paradise" is really really cool - like I mean really really cool and probably could have been a huge hit though he may have then found himself in that strange world of Billy Joel-ish pop songs, but still he was clever enough to pump out rock and roll just as easily as this cool and dry little acoustic ballad.

The remaining songs including Joni Mitchell's "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire" and the Cher-ish (cher circa 1979) "Charge It" which is pretty pointless but the whole thing gets a real makeover with "Paradise Garage" a song about the club that combines some disco elements with the rock sound a la "Hot Stuff" - "Baby's got a dream and she can boogie/ Daddy's got a groove that's coming clean/ Mama's got a vision of a permanet position/ Me I'm oiling up my dance machine..." with its bass line and sax it's like a cross of "Hot Stuff" and "Draw Of The Cards" by Kim Carnes. Oh yeah it's that good and it makes the album all that much more fun.

Because I couldn't find Read My Lips in its entirety I did happen to find Tim's cover of Dionne's "Anyone Who Had A Heart" which is just as bombastic as you'd think it would be and is put on Fearless as a bonus cut.

Tim Curry - Fearless bub124
(June 10, 2008)
Tracklist:
01. Right On The Money 02. Hide This Face 03. I Do The Rock 04. S.O.S. 05. Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire 06. Paradise Garage 07. No Love On The Street 08. Something Short Of Paradise 09. Charge It
Bonus Track
10. Anybody Who Had A Heart

Download Tim Curry - Fearless:
http://rapidshare.com/files/121574836/bub124_Tim_Curry_-_Fearless.zip.html






bub125 Tim Curry - Simplicity

Tim's last album Simplicity came out in 1981 and it's definitely my favorite in his trio of tunes. Opening up with the new wave-ish reggae and strangley brilliant "Working On My Tan" it only gets better from there. A super cool and excited version of "She's Not There" leads into the title ballad and more boppiness with "On A Roll" before even more new wave vibes on my favorite cut "Take Me I'm Yours."

But Simplicity keeps on pumping with another super cool cover - this time a very interesting take on an already interesting ditty, "Dancing In The Streets". The not too exciting "Betty Jean" follows but then it's "Out Of Pawn" a more rocking fare, before the aforementioned "Summer In The City" that the Leivas so was looking forward to it, and what do you know he was right - it is a great version (though I love "She's Not There" so much more)...

Simplicity ends in another intense Tim Curry moment with a jazzy and brooding (of course) version of "I Put A Spell On You" and all this great ferocity should keep you going until I finally get Read My Lips together (that's right beatches I finally found a vinyl copy!)

Tim Curry - Simplicity (bub125)
(June 10, 2008)
Track List:
01. Working On My Tan 02. She's Not There 03. Simplicity 04. On A Roll 05. Take Me I'm Yours 06. Dancing In The Streets 07. Betty Jean 08. Out Of Pawn 09. Summer In The City 10. I Put A Spell On You

Download Tim Curry - Simplicity:
http://rapidshare.com/files/121577856/bub125_Tim_Curry_-_Simplicity.zip.html

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 6:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Brosnan said...

Holy Sh*t, dude.
You kick major ass.

Awesome albums.

 
At Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 6:58:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! thank you so much for this album! im gonna have myself many hours of joy with my Tim!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home