Friday, April 28, 2006

Brought to You By...

Today's blog is brought to you by the letters B, R, A, D, the number 28... and these 7 random CDs that I'm listening to:


TINA & THE B SIDE MOVEMENT - Salvation
A fun little bluesy country bar band record from a Minneapolis mainstay. When I lived in that town everyone knew Tina and her Bsides, and I had completely forgotten about them until I stumbled across this gem at Amoeba Records.. and it was even a major label release. I guess it didn't do much or my little Miss T wasn't about to play corporate shenanigans cuz her next albums have all been fairly independent releases.

ROONEY
If you don't own this self titled album you should kick yourself in the rooney. Put together by a group of cute boys with the oldest being about 18 years old, this is not a teen boy band by any means. This is real rock and roll and real talent. You may have seen them on the OC, but ignore that. You may even recognize the lead singer as an actor in "Princess Diaries" and one of the Coppola offsprings - ignore that too. Instead just listen to the influences on the album, from the Beach Boys (I'm not kidding) to Robbie Williams (okay I am kidding).. this isn't your teenage sisters music, this is your cool older Aunt's music and it rocks.

NO DOUBT - The Singles
Hey, I was in the OC mood I guess, and who better to trash the suburban dream than Miss Gwen and her endless ska, bleeps and blurps. I can't help but to love this band of fun loving Cali kids. Walking into spider webs when you're just a girl well leave you feeling hella good... shhh.. don't speak just listen.


KIM CARNES - Barking At Airplanes
You know I love my synth pop tinged with whiskey and cigarettes so why bother looking any further than this classic 1985 album which was released a few years on CD completely remastered and with a few bonus cuts. Including one of my all time fav Kim songs "Rough Edges" plus a fairly big hit "Crazy In The Night" and the hilariously mental "Don't Pick Up The Phone (Pick Up The Phone)".

THE CONCRETES - boyyoubetterrunnow
This is one of the very first CDs I ever bought after moving to Los Angeles, and it has been on rotation ever since that day in 2000. Full of fun loving yet meaningful pop, it's hard to pin a label on the lapel of this incredible band. Known now for one of their songs being used constantly in a Target ad, their self induced pop paranoia and love for oompa loompa styled synths is a great escape from the mundane radio songs of the last 6 years. Check out any Concretes album and you'll be thrilled, though I am partial to this release.

BILLY JOEL - The Stranger
My guilty pleasure of the week I guess - I know you're thinking, "Billy Joel is your guilty pleasure but you have Kim Carnes on here?" But the fact is, you probably all know I'm a big Kim Carnes fan and it just adds to my charm but Billy? Who knew? Well, I did, I had a few of his cassettes when I was little and I always liked the late 70s, early 80s Billy songs and this is the album where I remember paying attention to him. Once again a remastered version was released recently and it was only $8 so I bought it in a heartbeat and I really like it. The long and scene stealing "Scenes From An Italian Restaraunt" and the cool title track plus it has hit after hit - "Only The Good Die Young", "Movin' Out", "She's Always A Woman" and "Just The Way You Are" and most importantly, Amy Cissell idolizes Billy and since I idolize my petite pal with large bosoms, I too love Billy Joel.

and the major hit of the week - the re-released, remastered, complete 2 disc, limited edition of one of my favorite albums of all time!

KIRSTY MacCOLL - Titanic Days



I had most of Kirsty's music on CD including the original release of Titanic Days from 1994 but when I saw this was at the store and realized the bonus features, I just about peed myself. No kidding. (Like you don't believe me). Kirsty was one of the best and most prolific of all female musicians to hit the scene. Unfortunately she only released her own music sporadically as she spent most of her time as wife and mother, but when she would come out with something, I was there. This is by far my favorite album she ever did, full of angst and pain, she called it her "divorce album" and now not only is it in pristine sound with liner notes, there is a whole second disc with remixes, bonus cuts never released and a few other fun stuff. Buy this album before its too late - you'll love the vindictive bastard who terrorizes his victims in "Can't Stop Killing You", and the angst ridden title track, the cool soothe of "Just Woke Up" the angry pain of "So Ho Square" and the sarcasm that oozes from Kirsty in fast and furious delivery like a female and slightly happier Morrissey.

2 Comments:

At Friday, May 5, 2006 at 9:51:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see my bosoms mentioned in your blog, and then I saw you had a comment, and was even more excited -- sure that someone had commented on my bosoms....but this is a strange comment.

Does this mean that the college degree you have isn't real? Do you think that the student loan people would agree? ('cause that would be cool)

Had fun last night! YAY!

 
At Monday, May 8, 2006 at 7:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger swivek said...

I don't know who these people are who try to sell me things on my own blogspot. I was going to delete it when it occured to me your post wouldn't make much sense anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home