Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Apple From The Tree

I have inherited a trait from my dear Mommy that I'm not so proud of. No, I'm not talking about the cute as a button blonde good looks or the endless supply of charm or even the ability to head to a bar with 75 cents and come home drunk as a skunk with $1.50 in my pocket - no for those are all traits I'm quite proud to carry. The trait that causes me some heartache however is my total disregard for the dollar. You see I love shopping, and so does my mother. Shopping for just about anything except groceries excites me to no end. But the most important shopping excursions are the clothes and the music.

For both it isn't the brand new CDs or labels that get me excited, but the endless possiblities you find at a thrift store or used record store. I spend hours and hours and grab every single thing I think I need; because, well it's cheap. That is until I bring my endless finds to the check out counter and realize I just spent the last of my money. But hey, at least I have treasures upon treasures to gaze at, to try on and to listen to. And aren't those hours of happiness much more important than a few measely missed student loan payments?

So with that in mind, here's what prompted this whole post. On Saturday, I went to Tower Records to buy my beloved Pat Benatar releases, and after an hour of looking around, I found a Blondie CD single of "Rapture Riders" a fab new hybrid meshing Blondie's "Rapture" with the Doors "Riders On The Storm." But after more shopping, I ended up with 10 CDs in my hand. I realized since these were not used CDs and I would be paying retail, I put them all back except for Pat and Blondie. I was proud of myself - I had stood my ground and bought only what I needed.

That is until my Leivas asked if I was up for a trip to Amoeba Records! Of course I was and that's when all hell broke loose. I won't tell you the 16 CDs I had in my hand or the endless hours spent looking through 45s, vinyl and CDs; but I will tell you because Amoeba was having a sale on their 45s at a half off price; I spent and spent until I realized one more student loan would go unpaid..

but for anyone interested, here is the latest and greatest finds I found -

Music Purchases 75,004 -
Wheatus CD - "Too Soon Monsoon"
Blondie CD - signed "No Exit" 7.99 can you even believe it?
Pat Benatar remastered CDs - "In The Heat Of The Night", "Crimes Of Passion" & "Precious Time"
Gorillaz CD
Suede CD

Vinyl LPs - I love em - EG Daily "Wild Child" (she does the voice of Tommy on Rugrats and has sung numerous 80s movie soundtrack songs for Better Off Dead & Summer School and she's Lauren in my fav movie Valley Girl); and Sheena Easton's A Private Heaven with "Strut" and "Sugar Walls" - I'm on a Sheena kick lately - don't judge!

and then the ultimate finds - the 45s I will never listen to but couldn't live without

Berlin "No More Words" with Picture Sleeve;
Blondie - "X Offender" on Private Stock (their first 45 ever),
Denis - German with picture sleeve; Hanging on the Telephone US with picture sleeve (my favorite cover ever), Heart of Glass US with picture sleeve, Dreaming UK with PS; Atomic US with PS, The Tide Is High UK PS; Rapture UK PS
Belinda Carlisle & Freda Payne "Band Of Gold" with picture sleeve
Go Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed" with picture sleeve
Debbie Harry - "The Jam Was Moving" US (perfect condition and original Chrysalis sleeve), US "In Love With Love" with PS; "Brite Side" UK Poster sleeve edition
Human League - "Don't You Want Me" with US PS
INXS - "Don't Change" US with PS
Cyndi Lauper - "True Colors" US with PS (and a rare B-side!) and "Change Of Heart" US with PS
Missing Persons - "Destination Unknown" with PS; and "Walking In LA" no picture sleeve
Juice Newton - "Angel Of The Morning" with premo picture sleeve
Plimsouls - "Now" (they're on the Valley Girl soundtrack)
Pretenders "Message Of Love" with UK picture sleeve
Rick Springfield - "Love Is Alright Tonite" with PS
Quarterflash - "Take another picture" with PS
Tracey Ullman - UK "My Guy" with PS
Kim Wilde - "Child Come Away" UK with PS
Kim Wilde - "Love Blonde" UK with PS


now if you've made it through this list, you're either impressed or think I'm just plain crazy, but either way, you're probably just glad you weren't with me while I was shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home