Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Roller Daddy

When I was a wee one we would go to High Roller in Wausau to get our skate on. The teen/kid night was Wednesdays and we would go and eat pizza, roller boogie to the latest 80's hits, roll the big fuzzie dice and live like we were the coolest roller mama and daddies around. For years, I've been wanting to go skating again, well kiddies, one of my all time big dreams came true last night. That's right I went roller skating. It was like 1982 all over again. A pal of mine had a birthday to do in Glendale at the roller rama over in that neck of the woods.

It was so frickin' exciting - even the Leivas was there strapping up his laces and hitting the floor. Plus not only did they play cool new tunes, they reached into that bag of goodies known as the 80's and played some gems I so hoped they would play.

Now there was one big disappointment in the night - all night I kept secretly hoping they would play Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll" as that is one song I so remember roller skating to when I was a kid. Well as the night winded down, the Leivas was getting tired so I took off my skates and put them back and two songs later was the last song of the night - guess what is what - that's right those frickers played "I Love Rock & Roll" and my skates were already being deodorized for the next night's roller daddies. Ugh!

But regardless, it still had a great 80's vibe - including a bunch of boiz wearing what was going to be my outfit, maybe next time and oh yes there will be a next time. Did I also mention that Wednesday is GAY NIGHT at this roller rink? I know, huh.

Incidentally, I did not fall once and have no blisters to speak of (or to not speak of... so that means next time I'm out there in the middle doing flips and roller boogieing. Oh yeah.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home