Friday, November 17, 2006

The Bubbatunes Vaults 6

Here we are again in the dusty vaults of Bubbatunes, but this time around instead of looking through some compilations, we have a whole new set to go through - a slew of Bubbatunes Reissues, albums that either have never been made available on CD format or ones that have official CD releases but just weren't up to the right standard set by someone strange and crazy like myself; here you will find some soundtracks, some power pop, some oldies but goodies and some things you never knew you wanted... I know the feeling.

bub 31 Original Soundtrack To The Film THE PIRATE MOVIE (2004; 1982)
I know can you even believe it? One of my all time favorite flicks of all time, it seems just like days ago that I got the DVD for my birthday and made everyone who spent the night (there was a lot of drinking the night before) watch the flick. Oh how they loved it, and I'm not even diluting myself.. is that the correct spelling? Can you dilute yourself as you would a liquid? I'm not sure but whatever, we have more important things to talk about; like this 20 song opus from 1982 that should've been a huge hit a la Grease but for some reason kind of fizzled. Luckily it lives on in the hearts of people like me, and a pal named Amy who sent me a CDR recorded from her vinyl; she polished up the sound; I repolished, I found artwork, I created new artwork, I made a booklet, I found the writers/song list/chart positions; all of it, just to prove how much I love The Pirate Movie and the soundtrack. A combination of old Gilbert & Sullivan songs and new 1982 pop songs, Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins are joined by Peter Sullivan & his Orchestra, The Peter Cupples Band, Ian Mason and other Australian acts you've never heard of, oh and just for kewlness Kool & The Gang are here as well. From the gloriousness that is Kristy's "Pumpin' & Blowin" to Christopher Atkin's top 100 ballad "How Can I Live Without Her" and the new lyrics added to make "The Modern Major General" just a tad more hip (I'm older than the Beatles, but I'm younger than the Rolling Stones), and a couple piratey songs sung by the cast including "I Am A Pirate King", We Are The Pirates" and some instrumentals, this is actually a very entertaining little CD. Plus the whole thing ends with two different versions of the film ending "Happy Ending" (Give me a happy ending everytime), and with The Pirate Movie Soundtrack on CD, I finally have my happy ending.

Track List: 01. Victory (The Pirates featuring Mike Brady) 02. We Are The Pirates (Ian Mason) 03. Stand Up And Sing (Kool & The Gang) 04. The Chinese Battle (Peter Sullivan & His Orchestra) 05. I Am A Pirate King (Ted Hamilton & The Pirates) 06. The Sisters Song (The Sisters) 07. First Love (Kristy McNichol & Christopher Atkins) 08. The Chase (Peter Sullivan & His Orchestra) 09. The Modern Major General (Bill Kerr & The Cast) 10. Pumpin' And Blowin' (Kristy McNichol) 11. The Duel (Peter Sullivan & His Orchestra) 12. How Can I Live Without Her (Christopher Atkins) 13. Hold On (Kristy McNichol) 14. Tarantara (Gary McDonald & The Policemen) 15. We Are The Pirates (Ted Hamilton & The Pirates) 16. Come Friends Who Plough The Sea (Ted Hamilton & The Pirates) 17. Pirates, Police & Pizza (Peter Sullivan & His Orchestra) 18. Happy Ending (Kristy McNichol,Christopher Atkins & The Cast) 19. Happy Ending (The Peter Cupples Band) 20. Medley (Peter Sullivan & His Orchestra)

bub 32 Like Fer Shur, It's The Totally Tubular Ultimate VALLEY GIRL Soundtrack (2004; 1983)
It's a crying shame that there wasn't a full length original film soundtrack to go with this classic 1983 foray into the world of the 80's Valley world; a Romeo and Juliet story where Julie of the Valley meets Randy of Hollywood and all kinds of teen angst in between. Starring the beautiful and talented, and cute - oh one of my all time favs Deborah Foreman and some dude named Nicholas Cage, this is one of my all time favorite movies ever! I could probably recite the whole thing, and what I didn't immediately remember would come to me. Another thing I know I can recite is the entire soundtrack. Originally released at the time of the movie as a mini LP because of liscensing problems, the original album was only 6 songs long - Bonnie Hayes' Girls Like Me, Sparks' Angst In My Pants, Josie Cotton's specifically recorded for the film School Is In, The Plimsouls' Everywhere At Once, Josie's Johnny Are You Queer? and Bonnie Hayes' "Shelly's Boyfriend". Then in more recent times, Rhino Records released the movie and the soundtrack on CD; though the soundtrack didn't contain all the songs from the movie or even all the original 6 songs; they tried to rectify that by making a second compilation but without all the songs on one disc and with added 80's songs just for the heck of it, I felt there should be a real Valley Girl soundtrack. One that contains all the songs from the film including "Electric Avenue" by Eddy Grant which is played prominently in the film but is not on any soundtrack ever officially released. So I decided to do the Ultimate Valley Girl Soundtrack including every song from the movie and only the songs that were featured in the movie - since I have no licensing fees to pay (shhh) I can make whatever I want. I even included a strange little thing; in the VHS and original version of the movie Men At Work's "Who Can It Be Now?" is played prominently in one of the longer and more important scenes in the film, but when the movie came out on DVD, the song is replaced by Josie Cotton's "Systematic Way"; I have no explanation for it and neither it seems does anyone else. So for the sake of which was the correct version, I put both songs on here. The Ultimate Valley Girl Soundtrack starts out with those first 6 songs from the mini album and in the sequence they appeared on that mini album, from there the songs are put in the exact order they appear in the film, from the songs playing at the party including some cool New Wave like Felony, Payola$ and Psycedelic Furs, to the Plimsouls songs performed at the Hollywood club, the make out scene, the driving scenes, all the songs are here including Skip's big bicycle ride to the pseudo Mrs. Robinson - Sparks' "Eaten By The Monster Of Love" and of course the ultimate in not only Valley Girl but my #1 song of the entire decade of the 80's "I Melt With You" by Modern English. This is the ultimate collection for anyone who loves this film and these songs, and I can't imagine anyone that doesn't.

Track List:
01. Girls Like Me (Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo) 02. Angst In My Pants (Sparks) 03. School Is In (Josie Cotton) 04. Eveywhere At Once (The Plimsouls) 05. Johnny Are You Queer? (Josie Cotton) 06. Shelly's Boyfriend (Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo) 07. Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime) (The Flirts) 08. The Fantatic (Felony) 09. Eyes Of A Stranger (Payolas) 10. Electric Avenue (Eddy Grant) 11. Who Can It Be Now? (Men At Work) 12. Systematic Way (Josie Cotton) 13. Love My Way (Psychedelic Furs) 14. I La La Love You (Pat Travers Band) 15. A Million Miles Away (The Plimsouls) 16. Time To Win (Gary Myrick & The Figures) 17. She Talks In Stereo (Gary Myrick & The Figures) 18. I Melt With You (Modern English) 19. Eaten By The Monster Of Love (Sparks) 20. The Oldest Story In The World (The Plimsouls) 21. He Could Be The One (Josie Cotton) 22. I Melt With You (Reprise) (Modern English)

bub 33 XANADU - From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2004; 1980)
Now here is a CD that has a release on official MCA/Universal and even a reissued remastered version from the UK yet they have never been able to make the ultimate collection; most notably the fact that Olivia's excellant hybrid rock/country jamboree "Fool/Country" has never been released on a CD. Okay, I lie as a year ago a 2 CD collection of Olivia's music was released called Gold which did in fact contain a remastered version of "Fool Country" and that is the song you will find on this Bubbatunes collection of Xanadu. A combination of Olivia Newton-John and Electric Light Orchestra with a few guest stars thrown in for good measure. I know the movie gets a bum rap and I suppose even my Livvie has had to hear a few jibes about her musical tastes, but I love that woman, I love this movie and I love all the songs on here. The ELO songs are fantastic from the dreamy "Don't Walk Away" and "The Fall" to the hyper tension of "I'm Alive" and "All Over The World", these songs are super catchy and of course have that ELO essence Jeff Lynne worked so hard to master. The duet of the title track between my Livvie and ELO is one of my favorite songs of all time and if you recall made it to the top 100 of 80's songs - according to Bradley. For Livvie's own contributions you have the #1 rock ballad "Magic" in all it's fascinating mystical glory, "Suspended In Time" which is a close companion to "Magic", the big band duet with Gene Kelly "Whenever You're Away From Me", and from my own archives, the highlight of everyone's Livvie experience "Fool Country", and then the ultimate reason to ever see Xanadu, the hybrid 40's schmaltz with 80's rock mesh off, "Dancin'" featuring Livvie and The Tubes. There are even a few remixes of "Xanadu" thrown in for good measure, and one day some day soon, when my pal Luther has time to get it done for me, there will be a second reissue of this Xanadu soundtrack as there is still one song left off, another of Livvie's '40's swing band songs that is clearly in the movie (in one of Gene Kelly's flashbacks) but was only released as a B-side to one of the singles. I'm sure one day I'll have it just right, after all I do believe in Magic and nothing can stand in my way.

Track List:
01. Magic (Olivia) 02. Suddenly (Olivia & Cliff Richard) 03. Dancin' (Olivia & The Tubes) 04. Suspended In Time (Olivia) 05. Whenever You're Away From Me (Olivia & Gene Kelly) 06. Fool Country (Olivia) 07. I'm Alive (ELO) 08. The Fall (ELO) 09. Don't Walk Away (ELO) 10. All Over The World (ELO) 11. Xanadu (Olivia & ELO) 12. Xanadu - Millenium Mix 13. Xanadu - Mount Olympus Mix

bub 34 Andy Gibb - SHADOW DANCING (2004; 1978)
Our very first actual album reissue that isn't a soundtrack is finally here and with a hottie hairy chested Gibb brother, what better way could we start out? Andy Gibb was my very first big boy crush ever, he was hosting Solid Gold at the time but I recalled all those hits he had had just a few years earlier and to this day my ultimate favorite Andy song is the title cut from this 1978 album, the slow grooving, sexy moving, disco stringing "Shadow Dancing". I have vowed to one day to it on Karaoke and I can't wait, oooh perhaps I should try a Swivek cover, now that might be interesting. But I digress, this isn't about me, (Not really), so here we have 10 glorious songs set to the thumping soul of Mr. Gibb, not all disco is bad I have to tell you; and not all Andy or Bee Gees (for that matter) is straight up disco. Most of Andy Gibb's songs could be described as slow groove ballads more than disco. I mean this isn't Amii Stewart "Knock On Wood" or even KC & the Sunshine Band type of music. It's smooth sailing love songs from the hairy chested wonder who made it a pleasure to look through pictures to make this booklet. Incidentally, the art work I made includes a pretty large pic of Andy's bare chest and tight pants and it's used a number of times through out the booklet.. you're welcome. So let's talk music, the title track is of course amazing and there were other songs here that became big hit singles - "An Everlasting Love", "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away" but any one of these songs could've been big singles. They all have a similar feel and with Andy's breathy high vocals and the help of his brothers on writing and back vocals, this is a 70's lover's dream. But this glorious Bubbatunes production isn't just the ten songs of the Shadow Dancing album, no siree, we have bonus tracks on here; actually we have 9 bonus tracks making it the Shadow Dancing Greatest Hits package really since I include all his other chart hitting singles - "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water" - a great great song though if you listen to it closely it almost sounds like he's singing the song to the man who wants his girlfriend and not to the girlfriend, it confuses but excites me; "Desire", "I Can't Help It" with the aforementioned Miss Livvie taking on some extra work, "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" - my second fav Andy song; "Flowing Rivers" an interesting little take on country pop a la Miss Livvie (these Aussies are all connected), "Man On Fire", "After Dark", "Time Is Time" and "Me (Without You)" are all here. In fact the only real missing ingredient in this Andy bowl of hotness is his duet with one time girlfriend "All I Have To Do Is Dream" but that's because I don't own it and even if I did I don't know if I'd use it as to this day I still blame her break up with him for causing his untimely death - damn that Pamela Barnes Ewing.

Track List:
01. Shadow Dancing 02. Why 03. Fool For A Night 04. An Everlasting Love 05. (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away 06. One More Look At The Night 07. Melody 08. I Go For You 09. Good Feeling 10. Waiting For You Bonus tracks:
11. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water 12. Desire 13. I Can't Help It (with Olivia Newton-John) 14. I Just Want To Be Your Everything 15. Flowing Rivers 16. Man On Fire 17. After Dark 18. Time Is Time 19. Me (Without You)

bub 35 Scandal - SCANDAL (2004; 1982)
At one time this debut by Patty Smyth and her boys was the best selling EP of all time, in fact I think it held that title until just very recently. A 5 song new wave rock masterpiece (Okay, maybe not but well, hey why not), including "Goodbye To You" one of the best songs of the 80's plus "Love's Got A Line On You" and three other tales of love and woe sung by our smoky voiced sassy chanteuse. Until recently a lot of these songs were never on CD; but with a new We Are The 80's release by VH1 the whole Scandal EP can be found on an official release, but I have to tell you, it's not the same as this Bubbatune, for this is in the exact order of that original 5 song EP complete with artwork closely resembling the actual vinyl release, so for anyone who ever had that album you can hear it the way it was meant to be heard, and thanks to my love for bonus tracks (and Vh1's compilation) there are bonus tracks that for one reason or another never made it to the original EP in 1982; in fact there are 3 songs that never saw the light of day until now - "If You Leave Me", "I'm Here Tonight" and my fav "Grow So Wise" which has Patty in all her scratchy longing; the song "All My Life" also a bonus track was released as the B-side to "Goodbye To You" but never made it to the EP either. Strange as with all the songs they would've had themselves a full album (in 1982) of 9 songs. Perhaps there's money marketing things we are unaware of. No matter why they weren't there the first time, they are here now; and just for added measure so are 6 other songs from the only full lenghted Scandal album ever recorded 1984's Warrior. Included here is the big Scandal hit "The Warrior" and its b-side "Less Than Half" (probably my favorite Scandal song right after "Goodbye To You"), the follow up singles to "The Warrior"- the moody Holly Knight co-written "Hands Tied" and the slithery rock ballad "Beat Of A Heart" and their subsequent B-sides, "Maybe We Went Too Far" and "Tonight" - all 6 of which were off that second album. So you see this is a Scandal lover's dream, the full debut EP, the rare tracks recorded for the EP, 3 hit singles from the next album and their three b-side/album tracks. My CD player has yet to say goodbye to you to this CD since I made it.

Track List:
01. Goodbye To You 02. Love's Got A Line On You 03. Win Some, Lose Some 04. She Can't Say No 05. Another Bad Love
Bonus Tracks:

06. All My Life 07. If You Leave Me 08. I'm Here Tonight 09. Grow So Wise 10. The Warrior 11. Less Than Half 12. Hands Tied 13. Maybe We Went Too Far 14. Beat Of A Heart 15. Tonight

bub 36 Rachel Sweet - PROTECT THE INNOCENT (2004; 1980)
I love my little pint sized gal with the voice as the big as the sky; Rachel Sweet is kind of like my other fav gal Lisa Hartman; two gals with a few records under their skirts that just never went anywhere chart wise. The reasons behind that are strange for both gals really rocked it out. Rachel had the added gift of knowing her way in and around and under new wave music. Protect The Innocent was her second album; a follow up to 1978's Fool Around which had toyed with new wave but kept girl group sounds and some country twinged punk at the forefront, this time around she was surfing that new wave and she wasn't looking back. A ton of killer punk/pop and just a few drops of that girl group sound Protect The Innocent is my favorite Rachel Sweet album and of course it's the only one not to have had some kind of reissue in the last few years. Opening with the jam popping thumping new wavey "Tonight" and continuing in the same vein with "Jealous", Rachel's high octane nervous vocal is only enhanced by the bouncy backbeats, the rock guitar kicks in for "I've Got A Reason" before things are slowed down for the cover of "New Age"; a sublimely perfect Lou Reed song that tackles fame and divorce and somehow this 17 year old girl is able to take it on her own and still make me believe she is going through it. That's a great vocalist. The rockabilly wave hits with Rachel's Elvis impersonatation on "Baby Let's Play House" a single which should have made it into the big time but apparantly rockabilly wasn't ready to come forward yet. Two 60's styled pop gems are found with the single "Fool's Gold" and "Lover's Lane", another convection of adult love including growing old together that Rachel sings with all her young heart. "Foul Play" and "Take Good Care Of Me" keep up the punky pop momentum set forth on first part of Protect The Innocent and the whole thing ends with the self penned "Tonight Ricky" set to a smoky jazzy reggae beat, Rachel whispers and coos about being home alone and making sure that Ricky knows tonight is the night they actually get together; that's right teenage love making right there on a new wave album of excellance; I only wish I would've discovered this album at the time of it's original release in 1980, man the years I missed out on. Unfortunetly, there are no bonus cuts on the Bubbatunes version of Protect The Innocent since I don't own any. Perhaps one day there will be a reissue of it, since I know there's a remix of "Spellbound" and a live version of another song was put out as B-sides... Perhaps some one some day can help me with it... Until then I'm just fine with these 12 new wave gems and it completely satisfies my Sweet fix.

Track List:
01. Tonight 02. Jealous 03. I've Got A Reason 04. New Age 05. Baby Let's Play House 06. New Rose 07. Fool's Gold 08. Take Good Care Of Me 09. Spellbound 10. Lover's Lane 11. Foul Play 12. Tonight Ricky

and there we have the first set of our Bubbatunes Album Reissues series, but there are more to come, next time we will venture further into the vaults and pull out 6 more album reissues including some more from Rachel, a Blondie goes solo and it's not even Debbie, a country fire fox goes rock, a few dabbles into early 80's new wave and some girl with a huge operatic rock vocal, geez her name is right on the tip of my tongue, Scat, Flat, oh yeah Pat.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 11:48:00 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bradley-
Love your blog! I have looked everywhere for the soundtrack for "The Pirate Movie". Do you know of anyplace that I could purchase a CD version, or possibly download online?

P.S.- I was just in your neighborhood last week on business. I stayed at the Chamberlain Hotel just off Santa Monica.

Cheers!

 
At Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 11:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger swivek said...

Hey send me an email and I can let you know how to get the Pirate Movie soundtrack.. there was a website where you could download the music, but I can't think of it off hand... maybe if you search for it on Google.. but I have a really good copy of it

 
At Monday, July 21, 2008 at 6:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger frankies movie and television nostalgia said...

hi brad

i am interested in the song
i've got a reason by rachel sweet
is their any chance of sending me the mp3 to this e-mail address
is (frankieshanowskiy2k06@yahoo.com) if that will be great thanks because i am a huge fan of that song .


yours faithfully

frankie smales

 

Post a Comment

<< Home