Wednesday, August 30, 2006

New Bubbatune!

She's clean, pristine and used to be a Supreme - yes, the Boss Miss Ross has joined the legions of bubbatunes bands and earned her very own compilation. As much as I love the Supremes, I never thought that much of Diana Ross as a soloist; other than a song here and there I just felt she was too cold, ice cold as it were, but with her more recent bouts of drunken driving and train wreck type of activity, she began to grow on me, and finally when I actually set out to listen to some Diana, I found out she really is incredible - from the very beginning her somewhat thin voice can reach heights never expected and what I once threw to the side as watery ballads are all really quite touching and ingenius - from "Reach Out And Touch (Somebody's Hand)" in 1970 to 1992's "If We Hold On Together" I put in all the syrup I could find but added a few dashes of pepper to the mix - the excellant beyond belief joy that is 1982's "Muscles" set to a miniscule bass line with Michael Jackson's backup, the song explodes as Diana delivers her desire for a man with muscles (she says she wants a man to always understand/ that's all right for her/ still that ain't enough for me/ she says she wants a guy/ to keep her satisfied/ that's all right for her/ still it ain't enough for me/ I don't care if he's young or old just make him beautiful/ I just want a man that I can hold onto / I Want Muscles!"). Also included is the always over looked "Lovin' Livin' & Givin'" from the Thank God It's Friday soundtrack, the song is a complete Giorgio Moroder/Donna Summer knock off coming out like "I Feel Love" and sounding just as good; of course I threw in three Supremes songs just to add some salt to the pepper including my all time fav "Reflections" (credited to Diana Ross & The Supremes mind you); one of my fav ballads (and one I did like right from the beginning) "Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" and while listening to these cuts I recalled the utter brilliance of the Chic produced singles "Upside Down" & "I'm Coming Out"; I rediscovered how great "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" really is, since it was a song I always thought was way over handed but now I don't think so, and my favorite new found Diana repeat 1973's "Touch Me In The Morning" with its winning formula of Ashford & Simpson dramatic strings and shifting melody plus the over dubs of Diana and an actual lyric that isn't all about losing at love and dying but rather a brilliant delivery of 'hey, we had our time now it's over'; the disco lushness of 1976's "Love Hangover" - another song I used to pass over as nothing special (I was wrong Diana I was wrong!) and 1979's "The Boss" another dancy ditty that I will now pay attention to forever.

bub63 Diana Ross : Miss Ross
Track List:
01. I'm Coming Out (1980)
02. Mirror Mirror (1981)
03. Reach Out And Touch (1970)
04. Reflections (Diana Ross & The Supremes) (1967)
05. Love Hangover (1976)
06. The Boss (1979)
07. Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To) (1975)
08. Touch Me In The Morning (1973)
09. Upside Down (1980)
10. Muscles (1981)
11. You Can't Hurry Love (The Supremes) (1966)
12. Lovin' Livin' & Givin' (1978)
13. Missing You (1984)
14. Chain Reaction (1985)
15. Ain't No Mountain High Enough (1970)
16. Endless Love (with Lionel Richie) (1981)
17. Why Do Fools Fall In Love (1981)
18. If We Hold On Together (1992)
19. Eaten Alive (1985)
20. Baby Love (The Supremes) (1964)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home