Monday, October 25, 2010

Rocked It Hard

Well I did it - my very first live show. The Boofont Sisters were brilliant as ever and it was so cool to actually put on my set and for them to have even asked me.

As for my nerves, I was only really nervous for a bit on Saturday afternoon but once we started putting everything together I felt better. Robby became my handler and took over on the costume and my make up. Then we did a rehearsal with him and Mike as the audience. I guess they liked it cuz Robby went into super charge mode and got me all pumped up.

Around 9 we were all set and Kristin came over so we hopped a cab and hit Hamburger Mary's. I talked to Dan, Cyndi's husband about the song tracks and went to the back room to hang with my other celebrity pals :0) . Tina was already there and had a Captain & Coke for me.


My friend Jason was also there, and Mike's friend Deene showed up too! Devin & Dylan got there during my second song but I saw them come in and they looked so excited. Everyone was taking pictures and Robby was shooting video - it was awesome.
The Boofonts went on first and there was another guest drag performer and then I went on. I did three songs, "Crypt Keeper" - a Halloween song I wrote a few years ago for a compilation album we did. Then I broke into "Rock Hard" which I had rehearsed over and over and had this idea of jumping down on my knees and doing all this crazy stuff but the stage actually had a stripper pole so I utilized that instead. Then I ended with "Fabulous" and though no one would have noticed really I did end up forgetting some of the lyrics but I rolled with it. At the very end of the night everyone got up and did "The Time Warp" which probably didn't go all that well. The Boofonts were good but I didn't know the words so I had a lyric sheet and I still didn't do the thing justice. But Wee Sandy, another performer forget her musical cue which was the jump to the left line! So I wasn't all that bad and I did drop to the floor at the end.

Alf had been very worried about my performance as he is very nervous but after the show he told me he'd never worry about me performing again... that's as big of a compliment as I could have asked for!

After we left, we were going to go to Micky's but Tina was pretty drunk and she ended up falling and slamming her face into concrete so Robby and I drove her home to the Valley - but even with her pain and suffering she still had a good time... and now I can't wait to perform again.

I even ended up winning the Costume Contest - or I guess Rob did since he created it. There will be videos and photos soon! Until then here's a candid from my pal Devin:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, October 25, 2010 at 12:22:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Amy said...

yay! So happy for you AND proud of you. Sounds like a great time! The only thing that makes me sad is that I couldn't be there to see it.

Congratulations!

 
At Monday, October 25, 2010 at 4:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger Devin Tait said...

I'm sad we missed your first song, but it was so fun to see you on stage. I heard you as soon as I got out of the cab, and I debated on just running in and leaving Dylan to deal with the cabbie! But I was nice and waited for him (since he was paying). You did great!

 
At Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 9:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger swivek said...

Luckily Rob took video so it can live on forever and ever... He also did my costume, my makeup, and psyched me up - I had a professional handler for one day and let me tell you I friggin loved it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home