Tuesday, May 16, 2006

New Bubbatune

We continue my endless array of compilation CDs known as Bubbatunes with our latest drop in the 80s bucket - the sax blowing, rock thumping band known as Quarterflash and a little compilation I like to call "Make It Shine."


bub 60 Quarterflash - MAKE IT SHINE

Track List:
01 Make It Shine
02 Find Another Fool
03 Don't Be Lonely
04 Take Me To Heart
05 Love Without A Net (You Keep Falling)
06 Valerie
07 Nowhere Left To Hide
08 Harden My Heart
09 Shane
10 Walking On Ice
11 Take Another Picture
12 Love Should Be So Kind
13 It Don't Move Me
14 Right Kind Of Love
15 Eye To Eye
16 Talk To Me
17 Try To Make It True
18 Critical Times
19 Night Shift

Rindy and her gang are best known for the "Harden My Heart" single but there are many a good piece of 80s rock to be found on here. My ultimate fav song by the band has always been "Make It Shine" - an upbeat little number enforcing positive attitude while breaking down in the middle to a drum induced refrain (I love those), "Find Another Fool" is probably my favorite single by the band but "Take Me To Heart" may come in a close second. One of the most overlooked songs in their entire catalog is the title track to their second album Take Another Picture - the song is a punchy number reflecting the fear of fading away before your time is done - "Please take another picture, I don't want to fade away..." but the actual verses are what sucks me in - "I saw a picture hidden in the bedroom underneath father's ties/ a beautiful woman caught naked forever/ black strip over eyes/ I still remember that picture/ the image is sharp and clear/ and I'll never erase that eyeless face still smiling all these years..." Clever.

There are other gems to be found in the Quarterflash catalog that you may have forgotten about or never knew existed. "Don't Be Lonely" was the B-side to "Harden My Heart" and also included on Fast Times At Ridgemount High - a fun little ditty set to a chug beat and full of beacking vocals; and a fairly risque little ditty from the first album called "Valerie" about the girl in art school who had what appears to be a lesbian crush on the singer. They never say "yo! she's a lesbian" but even when I was a kid I could figure it out.

By the time Quarterflash recorded their third album they were actually fading away but that doesn't mean they didn't have some fine tunes left in them. The singles "Walking On Ice" and "Talk To Me" may have been lacking the ultimate pizzazz of earlier songs but they were still quite catchy and "Love Without A Net" is the 80s personified, which means I love it.

Stay tuned as I work up some more bubbatunes and in the next few weeks, I'm actually going to go back and start at the beginning, giving you all a taste of the 60 Bubbatunes, I so passionately and painstakingly created.
(Note: No copyrights were infringed upon for talking about making a compilation of unreleased music you bunch of corporate bastards!)

Note 2: Only 6 days left until the most joyous of events!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home