Thursday, June 08, 2006

I Could've Been Somebody

In my half hearted attempts at a career in showbiz and my more prominent role as happy husband, I sometimes forget that I actually live in Los Angeles - a place where any moment at any place you could find yourself driving next to, walking along with or sitting behind a celebrity. It brings a whole new twist to that familiar face you see and confront with, "Don't I know you from someplace?" Here in LA that someplace is more likely from the television screen than your high school yearbook. But that doesn't stop me from insisting anyone who looks vaguely familiar was an old acquaintance from Wisconsin, Minneapolis or even Idaho.

Meanwhile, my boyfriend watches endless hours of television and films so he can recognize a celebrity (even D-List) from three check out lines away, I on the other hand am a lot like that episode of Will & Grace where Jack insisted the real Cher was just an imposter. I wouldn't know a celebrity if they put me into their next film. The only person I've ever recognized off the bat was JoAnne frickin' Wirley!

But I am actually digressing because the main point of this post is not that I actually saw a celebrity but that someone thought that I was a celebrity. On Monday, I was out and about on my own waiting hanging at the Alcopulco Mexican Restaraunt on Sunset Boulevard. I was meeting up with a friend of a friend who had just moved to LA from Wisconsin and we were going to catch some Happy Hour Margaritta action and Karaoke. (We are so Midwest!)

So a big blonde boy with a bright red tank top and shorts sat next to me at the bar while I waited alone for my new friend. After a few sips of his margaritta he looked at me and said, "I know you don't I?"

Now I wasn't sure how to respond since I didn't know if he knew me or not. That is really a question he should be asking himself. None the less I tried to play along. I looked at his red tank top and his oh so Heavy Metal hair and figured he probably was from Wisconsin and perhaps we went to school together.

But before I could grasp what was really going on, he said to me, "You're a drummer right? You're the drummer from Stain."

I was quite stunned and surprised since I do not play drums and I do not even know what the drummer from Stain looks like. Had I been even remotely clever or michevious I may have gone with it. But I don't even know the drummer's name so I just said, "No, I'm Mark Hammill" and finished my drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home