Friday, June 09, 2006

We're A Proud People


Well, it's that time of year - the annual Gay Pride Festival in West Hollywood is this weekend, and once again I am totally stoked to see my favorite 80s ladies bands perform. As you may recall last year my own favorite Debbie Harry did a dance filled solo set and now this year a few more of my old favs are coming to claim the stage. Included are the Bangles, Bow Wow Wow (Annabella is now over the age of 18 u know), Taylor Dayne and a special throw in from the late 90s - frickin' Billie Myers! I love Billie and though I am stoked to hear "Kiss the Rain" and "Tell Me" performed live, I'm a tad disappointed to find out she is the last performer scheduled - booking in at 9:40 pm on Sunday night. Poor girl, but perhaps that will prompt her to finally release a new album.

As the booze and the boys will be swirling, I hope everyone with an ounce of conciousness will remember how and why we are all here. Through the countless interagations, coming out horror stories, fights and battles won and lost with politicians, this isn't supposed to be about a big party. Sure, we love to have parties and will make any excuse to get fabulous and outrageous, but for some reason this year makes me a little sombre about the whole pride sitch. I mean Dumbya is out there practically ready to round us up and throw us into a camp to convert us, while here in WeHo the 21 year old twinks are dancing like there weren't a care in the world. I'm beginning to think they may have the right idea. I mean if the Christopher Street West Council opted to throw Paris Hilton in AGAIN! as our celebrity grand marshall, then I will have lost all faith for the parade's organizers. The woman really knows nothing about suffering, I mean it's the general public who is really suffering when she sings, acts, talks or is even featured in a photograph... I searched and searched to see who our grand marshall is and it's been to no avail, so I will just hope for the best and pray they drag Bea Arthur out of retirement and throw her into a convertible... oh my god, they should get Bea, Rue and Betty White to do it! I'm going to call up the organizers right now! Gee, that's my second Bea Arthur reference in 2 weeks, perhaps I'm need of a Golden Girls fix.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 8:26:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And? Did they get Bea Arthur and the other Golden Girls for that event? I hope it for you, and I love her too, she's fantastic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home