Thursday, August 31, 2006

Invasion Of The B-Girls

Okay so it's been a week and my tither is finally calming down, so let's talk about how so 1983 a night in Hollywood can really be shall we? It all started with an argument last Thursday as my pal Luther showed up at our house for the Josie Cotton show at the Knitting Factory. Luther found out quickly that all is not always wine & roses in the house of the Jacobson-Leivas'. I was outside finishing a smoke when the Leivas came running out and gave Luther a parking pass - now I didn't know we were in such a hurry so when I told the Leivas I had to run upstairs to get our tickets he started yelling at me! Insisting I do this type of thing all the time - this type of thing would be having to go back in the house and/or the Leivas not being able to find me when he is ready to leave but like Hello!when did the world start revolving around him anyway???

So off we finally went to the show - as soon as we walked in there was Josie Cotton in all of her glory just hanging out and looking uber fab in a red Chinese style dress with big 60s boots and her black hair adoringly styled in that so Cotton way - she looked great. I wanted to go talk to her but I didn't have a camera and I didn't have anything for her to sign but as a line began to form of boys wanting to talk to her, Luther and I ran up there.

Before we got up there, a nice boy named Ness offered (i.e. we asked him if he would do it) to take a picture of Luther, Josie and I and email it to me later. What a guy! So as we finally made our way to the big J, I introduced myself as one of her myspace friends "swivek" - she said she thought I looked familiar while Luther informed her that she was one of my all time idols (it's true but did he have to embarass me like that? okay, I'm glad he did) I then told her how excellant I thought the album was and she hugged me, told me her favorite line from a recent review of Movie Disaster Music, and Luther told her he loved "Creeps" and confessed to my piracy when he said I sent him emails of some of the songs. I informed her I had found out about the show because of Deborah Foreman's website and she told me, "Oh yeah she's supposed to be here." No one but me and my aching stomach knew what a major thrill was happening.

Ness took our picture, Josie in the middle, Luther to the right and me on the left sitting on a chair like the diva I am. I looked fab but Luther and Josie need a little photoshop work before I post the picture --- I kid, kind of.

Before we left I told Josie how fabulous I thought she looked and lucky I got another hug from the woman who changed new wave music and still adorns my car stereo...

After that exhuberant experience I was a tad parched so we made our way to the bar. As Luther and I waited for our drink, I didn't notice the couple coming up behind us as we were so busy talking. Luther said he thought Josie looked great and so fit, to which I said "perhaps she's doing yoga with Deborah Foreman." Can you guess who happened to be standing me yet?

As I turned to look around the room to see if Julie, the ultimate Valley Girl was anywhere in sight I almost fell over. I turned back to Luther, "That's her. Right behind us."

Luther, turned around and smiled, "Hey, we were just talking about you," he says to Ms. F - I almost fell over. She looked at us as if we were crazy, so I tried to rectify it, "You're you know who you aren't you?" okay, I said her name and she did admit she was the one and only, to which I once again went to the myspace drop and said I was on there as swivek - she then introduced her cute companion. She was very nice and very sweet and still cute as all can be; and though I looked good that night I am sure my tongue turning somersalts and spewing out all kinds of illegible words did not impress her at all. I talked a bit of yoga, tried to make it like I was not jumping up and down and inside and then said how nice it was to meet her before excusing my loser self.

As it turns out I probably didn't make as bad of an impression as I thought since she did tell me via the internet that it was indeed nice to meet me in person...

and then it was time for the show - first the opening band played a sort of modern jazz outfit called, oh I forget the name now, but it will come to me and I'll change the post; then Geza X, who I had been misinformed was Josie's husband - apparantly they are not married and may not have even been a couple as far as I know - apparantly there were a lot of Geza X fans out there and though he vowed it was his last live performance I think he may be back for more...

Meanwhile, Miss Josie obviously is no diva and needs not to prepare herself for the stage for she was waltzing through the crowd during both performances; but alas it was time for the girl to hit the stage and hit the stage she did.

A giant projector behind her played some videos while she whipped through an awesome set including a lot of songs from the new album opening with the ballad "You're The Boss" complete with video screen behind her of the video (you can see the video at You Tube) "Rabbit Hole", "Lookin' For Elvis", "Creeps" (my fav), "Beautiful But Deadly" and then a female dancer - this gorgeous creature we had been watching all night - hit the stage and Josie burst into a 60s number that may or may not be from the film Invasion Of The B-Girls, no matter what the song and the action on stage was hot as the dancer and Josie did all the great moves including what I believe is the either the monkey or the watusi.

Then you better believe the girl broke into "Johnny Are You Queer?" along with a bulky, though not all that attractive, guy dressed in a jungle outfit that pranced around the stage and ignored Josie's advances; Personally I was kind of offended, but not for the reasons you're thinking. I was offended that Johnny wasn't hotter - he certainly wasn't the Johnny I pictured...

The whole thing ended with the ultimate surprise when Josie said, "This is an old one but unfortunetly I think it's still relevant today," and then burst into "No Pictures Of Dad" from the Convertible Music album. I just about passed out and probably would've if I wasn't so scared that strange Johnny was going to try to catch me...

Way back when I was but a wee tyke in Wisconsin, I watched Valley Girl over and over again dreaming that it was I who lived in LA and was able to go to the beach, to go to the clubs and have Josie Cotton at my prom; who would've ever guessed that all these years later, I pretty much lived that for it was 1983 all over; if for only one night.

So stay tuned for the pic - once Luther fixes, I mean emails it to me. Remember botox is deadly but photoshop is your friend - just ask Katie Couric.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home