Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh, For the Love Of Dolly

With all the Dolly Parton posts I've made in the recent months you may think I'm just huge Dolly freak but that isn't true. Sure I love me my Dolly but there are some people out there who takes step way beyond making bootleg copies of her out of print CDs - they make Dolly dolls, dress up and run from stop to stop at her grand opening parade at Dollywood, build faux Smoky Mountain cabins in their mother's backyard, take days off to fly to LA to see her on a talk show and oh so much more. To call these people fans would probably be insulting since they are so much more, and find so much more in the life of Dolly. Those people are the centerpiece of a little documentary called For The Love Of Dolly.


The Leivas and I went to see it last night at the Egyptian and let me just say it is a complete hoot. Yet as humorous as it is, it's still kind of tragic. The film follows four major fans as they make their way to the Season opening of Dollywood where Dolly makes her appearance. The two girls are the most interesting, though the gay couple with their endless house of Dolly are also pretty good and David, the man who was born with cerebal palsy is of course the heart yanking part of it. Really all these people find some kind of adoration and love in Dolly's words, songs, and basic appearance on Earth.


For The Love Of Dolly makes me laugh, cry and thank the stars that though I am apt to run on ebay and buy that 1981 stand up record store cut out of Pat Benatar, I won't be chasing her ass to Hawaii, or crying at the mere mention of her name. I'm not I tell you, I'm not.


To see when the next screening is near you or just to see what the hooplah is about the film has its own website at www.fortheloveofdolly.com - it's a riot I tell you.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home