Tuesday, July 15, 2008

bubbaTUNESday - Point Yer Sisters Part 1 - Energy

The Pointer Sisters may not be typical music fare for anyone around my immediate vicinity but start singing little ditties like "I'm So Excited" or "Neutron Dance" and you can bet there's going to be some jiggy going on.

Personally I love these gals in each and everyone of their incarnations - that's right they've had their fair share of changing around in their long career - it all began with a sort of doo wap funk quartet that ended in 1978 when sister Bonnie went solo, then it went pop/rock for about two minutes before going all dancey pop and soul in the late 80's...

Two of their best albums appeared in a more rock vein, the first was 1978's Energy which really kicked the girls (now June, Anita and Ruth only) into the stratosphere with their version of Bruce Springsteen's "Fire." The album that followed that, Priority, was even more rock orientated and it's now one of my personal favs - and because they are both extremely rare (Priority isn't on CD at all) to find on CD, they've been added to the Bubbatunes line up...

and here is our first little piece of pointer paradise -

bub129 Pointer Sisters - Energy (1978; July 15, 2008)

Opening with a jumpy bass line and then an electric guitar of immense 1978 proportions, "Lay It On The Line" with sassy Ruth vocals about being a bad girl, it's quite apparant this isn't the old Pointer Sisters with thrift store 40s garb and doo wop style, but beneath the crunchy guitar solos still lies some incredible harmony vocals by the Sisters Pointer and with a whole new fervor to boot this is why they were about to come into their own in mainstream pop.

The girls start sharing vocal duty on "Dirty Work" - "I'm a fool to do your dirty work, oh yeah" - a song written by Don Fagen but one I recognized immediately when I got on another strange kick and started buying Melissa Manchester albums. (Don't judge me) - but the girls make it all their own - with the whole lusting little song and it keeps going on and on until the hip cool ending.

"Hypnotized" by Bob Welch starts pretty funky and when Anita starts singing in her smoky voice - I'm all ears. It's all kind of spooky when the other girls start singing back up and the blues guitar kicks in, but it's a real highlight.

The interesting ballad "As I Come Of Age" follows with the girls all sharing harmony vocals - no leads or anything, but the sound is great.

Then we go into some fun with "Come And Get My Love" opening with some keyboards and guitar like a cross between Tom Petty and Olivia Newton-John until Ruth starts singing like Tina Turner - "how long mus I sit around /waiting for you / think of all the heartache / you've been putting me through/ you must have a soul / but it don't show / come on and love me or let me go/ come and get your love... before I give it away..." Sassy pants Pointer.

"Happiness" and "Fire" come in next - the one,two shot of the hit singles from Energy. "Happiness" finds its way onto all the Pointer Sisters compilations, opening with a piano and the soulful, "I love the way you love to live/ you love life/ you're inspiration/ I love the way you give/ your love so freely/ you're a sweet sensation/ you're my invitation to..." dunt, dunt, dunt on the piano keys, and all together a thumping little disco-ish beat kicks in "Happiness". Though to call it a disco song isn't quite accurate - there aren't any swinging orchestras or cooing, but it's a similar vein as a demo-ized version of "Don't Leave Me This Way" - more soulful and poppy than simply dance.

Of course there's "Fire" - that one time obscure Bruce Springsteen song that the Pointers made all their own. There isn't much to say about it, other than if you haven't heard it in a while you really need to give it another listen cause it's a really good song, just that beginning bass line will hook you back in ... though you have to wonder if the lyrics would now be classified as an invitation to date rape..?? though I guess she does tell him he knows she's a liar and when she kisses oooh fire, so I guess then she just drags him into the house herself... Plus the bridge is one of the best ever - "you had a hold on me right from the start/ a grip so tight/ I couldn't tear it apart/ my nerves all jumpin/ acting like a fool/ well your kisses they burn/ but my heart stays cool...." a little break, "well Romeo & Juliet...." and by the end it all breaks into a super cool keyboard/organ solo. Oooh Fire indeed.

"Angry Eyes" follows the pop/rock vein established earlier with some funky and almost pissy lyrics - "well I'll bet you wish you could cut me down with those angry eyes/ what a shot you would be / if you could shoot at me with those angry eyes..." It's actually a Loggins/Messina cover and who knew they were so angry or funky?

"Echoes Of Love" is a little more poppy but it's catchy as hell - I'm surprised this wasn't a single as it sounds like radio 1978 or at least early 79 - 80 ; similar though not quite as catchy as say "He's So Shy" - this is more in the vein the Pointers would be come to be really known.

The original Energy album ends with their cover of Sylvester's "Everybody Is A Star" and though I've read unfair reviews of their version, by this time I'm a Pointer lover and you can't tell me this toned down, country-ish version isn't actually very pretty.

For those Pointer Sisters afficiandos, (they exist) we didn't just leave it at that - instead we came up with some bonus cuts - notably the excellent rocking poppy ditty called "Love Is Like A Rolling Stone" which was a Bside only to the US "Fire" single - it's not only rare it's damn good...

and finally we end it all with the 12" version of the aforementioned "Happiness" in its longer and funkier version... and cause I love ya all so much, the artwork even comes with the lyrics, that's right I have way too much time on my hands.

Pointer Sisters - Energy (bub129)
Track List:
01. Lay It On The Line 02. Dirty Work 03. Hypnotized 04. As I Come Of Age 05. Come And Get Your Love 06. Happiness 07. Fire 08. Angry Eyes 09. Echoes Of Love 10. Everybody Is A Star
Bonus Tracks:
11. Love Is Like A Rolling Stone 12. Happiness (Extended)

DOWNLOAD POINTER SISTERS - ENERGY

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home