Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Music

On Friday I got the chance to meet one of my all time idols - Miss Patti B or Pat Benatar as she is more commonly known. She was at Borders in Westwood signing her new book "Between a Heart and A Rock Place." Unfortunetly there weren't any pictures of any kind allowed so it's something I'm going to have to remember for as long as I can - until I can get backstage one day.

It was actually still really cool - I went with my friend Marc and his friend Charlie who had met Benatar several times and she recognized immediately and asked if Marc and I were with him so it was like we were long lost pals. I told her how the very first record I ever owned was In The Heat Of The Night - I'm sure she was totally impressed.

When I was a kid I used to go to my Aunt Dianne's and she had this wood stove in the living room that was set up on a sort of step up and I would turn it into a stage and sing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" to all my relatives while the 45 played. They loved it and I was going to share the story but for some reason I choked, and honestly thought she could give a shit about it, but whatever.. it was still an experience.

I finished the book on Sunday and got totally stoked to work on more music. I love how her and Neil have worked continuously together and wish I had a man who actually liked music but I guess my life and "career" will remain separate, though I have decided that I really, really, really do need a collaborater to work with like she has. Someone who works with me exclusively and can help and support what I want to do - plus come in with brilliant ideas and keep me in check while actually pushing me to work. Now I just need to figure who that is and where to find them.

In the interim, I started working on some stuff. For years I've been trying to re-record the Mexican Gods album from 2002 so my vocals sound at least presentable since I thought it was a pretty good album but had no experience working on my own. I have had a few "done" for awhile and now I'm working on some that never panned out.

It's mostly to get me to rehearse because I am working on re-recording some of the back catalog. Not sure what I'm going to do with them but a 'my pick of greatest hits' album may be coming. I've asked Devin to help me out as I really, really, really need a producer and musical director and he is one of the most talented people I happen to be lucky enough to know. Luckily he has agreed to help me a bit so I'm totally stoked. There's some great Swivek songs that have been overlooked and I'd love to be able to present them in a fresh and better sounding form..

and finally I have a full day of real studio time booked for anytime so with the re-recordings I'm hoping it puts my voice in shape and inspires a new single to record in a professional setting... and that's what is up these days with Bradley in La La Land.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 6:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Devin Tait said...

So glad I can help you in your musical journeys. I admire how hard you work on your music and how much passion you have for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home