Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bubbatunes Visits The 1980s

Well I've been working on new Bubbatunes compilations including some 'reissues' of classic albums but before we get to anything new, I thought I'd look back at the final ones I made in 2007.

Before Christmas came around, Alf's neice kept asking me to make her the definitive 80's CD, as for some reason she thought I could put together a really cool mix. Well of course she was right and since I had been meaning to make a Bubbatunes collection of my top 100 singles of the 80's, I thought this was A) the perfect opportunity to make the Cds and 2) the perfect Christmas gift for Miss E.

But once I started grabbing songs I realized I wanted more than just the top 100 I came up with, I wanted to go crazy and include all classic 80's tunes I thought deserved to be heard by someone maybe a little less familiar with the decade than myself, so I came up with 10 (YES 10!) CDs in the BRAD'S TRIP BACK TO THE 80's Collection. Over the span of the 10 Cds all 100 of my top singles are included but they aren't in order and on the inside of each disc is the copyright date, chart position (if any) and chart debut date (if any) and most importantly the chart position the song ranked in THE TOP 100 SINGLES OF THE 80s - ACCORDING TO BRADLEY.

So let's take a gander at the track lists - we'll take two discs at a time for the next few days and I'll post up some mp3s when I can (or by request should it arise).. and don't forget to comment. I'm sure you'll have something to say about some of my choices.

bub113 BRAD'S TRIP BACK TO THE 80's - VOLUME 1
Track List:
01. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
02. The Tide Is High - Blondie
03. 99 Red Balloons - Nena
04. Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar
05. Turning Japanese - The Vapors
06. Gloria - Laura Branigan
07. I Got You - Split Enz
08. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
09. Kids In America - Kim Wilde
10. I Melt With You - Modern English
11. Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
12. He Could Be The One - Josie Cotton
13. I Love Rock & Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
14. Vacation - Go Go's
15. Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
16. Footloose - Kenny Loggins
17. She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
18. Funkytown- Lipps Inc.
19. Crash - Primitives
20. Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder
21. Goodbye To You - Scandal


Of the 10 I made this one is probably my ultimate favorite as I put on most of my favorite 80's and not to mention it probably has the most songs from my top 100 list than any of the other 80's CD collection in the series. The highlighted songs are the ones that made my top 100 singles list - and how I almost included "Come On Eileen" but alas I ended up not including it - though everytime I hear it, it's not the 80s that come to mind but rather the 90's and how Lisa and I used to go to this dance club in Abbotsford that had several different rooms and the alternative dance room had a boxing ring as the dance floor. For some reason in between dancing to Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode they'd play "come on eileen" and we would just dance, dance, dance...
As we go through these comps you will soon realize that I have to include a Pat Benatar and Debbie Harry song in some form on every single compilation CD I make. Not just on these 80s CDs but also any mix I have ever made for anyone else. I tried to make one once without a song with my girls and it just seemed incomplete. Also, I had to take a few liberties in regards to the year 1979 for these CDs only because Elaine deserved to hear them and have them. So "Video Killed The Radio Star" is included though it was a hit in the summer of '79 but considering it was the first video ever played on MTV it has its place in the 80's CDs. (though it made my list of the top 100 singles of the 70's)... okay next....






bub 114 BRAD'S TRIP BACK TO THE 80's Volume 2


Track List:
01. Flashdance...What A Feeling - Irene Cara
02. No More Words - Berlin
03. Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart
04. Little Red Corvette - Prince
05. Twist Of Fate - Olivia Newton-John
06. Jack & Dianne - John Cougar
07. Edge Of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
08. She Works Hard For The Money - Donna Summer
09. Passing Strangers - Ultravox
10. Call Me - Blondie
11. Don't Change - INXS
12. Send Me An Angel '89 - Real Life
13. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
14. Only You - Yaz (zoo)
15. Under Pressure - David Bowie & Queen
16. Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford
17. Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
18. People Are People - Depeche Mode
19. Buffalo Stance - Neneh Cherry
20. Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar

Okay, this one is really good too - again it has quite a few from my top 100 list plus it has one that almost made the 100 - Neneh Cherry's "Buffalo Stance" a song I've always just loved! Ggggigalo.. great stuff. In fact all the songs on this CD that didn't make the top 100 singles list - Donna's "She Works Hard...", "Jack & Dianne" and Prince were all very strong contenders.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's little blip where we look at volumes 3 and 4! I know you're going to love it!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home