Thursday, June 29, 2006

Nurse Bradchet

I am the first to admit that when it comes to caring for others, I'm not so great. In fact, I am the one in need of constant care (or so I have led most people to believe). Yesterday, Mr. Leivas had a doctor's appointment, an appointment which was supposed to put him under as in anesthesia but being the Leivas, he wasn't completely knocked out. None the less, it was my duty as husband to care for him in this time of need. So I took him to the doctor and once he went inside for the procedure, I headed downstairs for a smoke.

The minute before I lit up I realized Alf's sister had called me wondering about her brother, I was about to call her back when Alf's mother called my cell to find out about her baby boy. I informed her he had just went into the doctor and tried to pretend I was sitting in the office worried sick when four semis drove down Robertson Boulevard blowing my cover.

Two hours later, Alf's mom called back and luckily I was actually in the waiting room but probably sounded fairly abrupt as I was uncomfortable speaking in front of strangers plus I was working on a new Carlton Heights script.

Finally, my Leivas was let out and he was completely fine but exhausted so I took him home where I inquired if he could now eat. He wondered if I was asking him if he was going to make me lunch. I laughed it off and suggested I make him some soup before I take my car to the car wash.

The Leivas cooked his own Spanish rice, watched some TV and I went downstairs to clean out my car. This is when the mother Leivas called again and I explained I was once again away from her boy but she could call the house. She declined and I'm sure she was a tad worried that I was not the caregiver she would have provided for her son.

Then finally, I sent Alf to bed and I ran to the car wash. While waiting for the detail to be done, Alf's sister called me. I didn't pick up for fear that, well they would know what a lousy caregiver I was.

Of course when Alf finally returned all the phone calls to his beloveds, he informed them how he hadn't eaten dinner yet since his nurse wasn't quite hungry (I had a tuna sandwich while he napped) but he was sure he would be able to eat sometime this week.

Moral of the story: If you need a nurse, call the Leivas, if you need someone to smoke, hang out, call for food delivery, then you can call Nurse Bradchet; I'll try to screen your phone calls the best I can.

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 3, 2006 at 1:16:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am much looking forward to smoking & drinking with you (and LISA!) on Wednesday.

After a week of care-giving (and changing bandages, at which I am a pro), I think I deserve it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home