Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Saddest Christmas Story Ever Told

You know Frosty and Rudolph and Charlie and Linus; You know Santa and the Whos and the Grinch but do you recall the biggest Christmas ass of all? I'm speaking of Nestor the Long Eared Donkey, a little Christmas special by the boys of Rankin-Bass who gave us all the stop motion specials and brought to life this little gem in 1977. Ever since I was a wee tyke this special would air on tv and every single year I would bawl and bawl like a big old tit baby.

The story is based on another of Gene Autrey's songs this time about Nestor, whose ears are so long he trips and falls and can't do any work for his mean old human boss. So the boss throws Nestor and his mother out in the cold. What transpires after that is absolutely horrible and I can't believe they even made a show like this for kids but I watched it and I bawled. I won't tell you what happens but it's not good I'll tell you that much.

But the story doesn't end there, all through out the show Nestor is accompanied by a little guardian angel and this angel helps Nestor find his path which leads him to Bethleham and yes Nestor is the donkey who leads Mary & Joseph to the manger to give birth to sweet little baby Jesus.

I can't tell you how much this special affected me every year. But the tragedy of it all becomes even worse because the last time I remember it being on TV was when I was probably 13 and I still cried like a baby. That is until my father yelled at me for crying like a baby and that is the day, I do believe my childhood died.

But to recapture my childhood and perhaps a bit of yours, you too can get your hands on Nestor. It's part of a collection and really Christmas just isn't Christmas in my house without a little visit with Nestor.

Rent it or buy it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home