Friday, February 29, 2008

Bubbatunes Visits the 1980s Part 3

Are you ready for part 3 of our series in Brad's Trip Back To The 80s? Of course you are and this time I even have a couple mp3s for you - I know I'm such a givah!

bub116 BRAD'S TRIP BACK TO THE 80s Volume 5
Track List:
01. Girls Like Me - Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo
02. Heat Of The Moment - Asia
03. Cars - Gary Numan
04. Upside Down - Diana Ross
05. (I Can't) Break Away - Big Pig
06. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
07. Girls With Guns - Tommy Shaw
08. One Way Love (Better Off Dead) - EG Daily
09. Chains Of Love - Erasure
10. Need You Tonight - INXS
11. The Hardest Part - Blondie
12. I Know What Boys Like - Waitresses
13. Heart & Soul - T'Pau
14. Hidin' From Love - Lisa Hartman
15. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
16. The Warrior - Scandal featuring Patty Smyth
17. Johnny Are You Queer? - Josie Cotton
18. The Kid Is Hot Tonite - Loverboy
19. You Might Think - The Cars
20. Chequered Love - Kim Wilde
21. We Belong - Pat Benatar
22. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go - Wham!

This is an example of the perfect mix between selections from my personal top 100 singles of the 80's and excellant tracks that exemplify the 80s but didn't make it to my list for one reason or another - and it definitely wasn't because I didn't like the song as there isn't a song I put on any of these 10 discs that I don't love in one way or another. Volume 5 contains the effervescent "Girls Like Me" by Bonnie Hayes that so would've made a big splash on my original list if it had only been released as a single. Featured in one of my all time fav flicks Valley Girl, the song actually opens the movie and plays again during a slumber party scene where EG Daily bops her head ever so 80's like, and speaking of Ms. Daily, she appears on this collection as well with one of my favorite songs by the gal, the title track from the film Better Off Dead - "One Way Love (Better Off Dead)" - it's a rocking little ditty that I love, love, but alas is another that wasn't released as an official single - though promo copies of a 12" do exist.

Some classics that all were considered for my list include Diana Ross' excellant "Upside Down", the Cars' "You Might Think" whose accompanying video was all the rage in 1984, and Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" which is in all senses the 80s.

Oh and a little gal I like to call Lisa frickin' Hartman who should've had a huge hit with her 1982 album Letterock or at least a hit with it when it was re-released in 1984 as Lisa Hartman. Either way the one and only single released from it not only made my top 100 list, but it's on Volume 5 and it's here for you to download - cuz I rock like that...

Lisa Hartman - Hidin' From Love

EG Daily - One Way Love (Better Off Dead)






bub 117 BRAD'S TRIP BACK TO THE 80s Volume 6
Track List:
01. Dancin' In Heaven (Orbital Be Bop) - Q Feel
02. TRUE - Concrete Blonde
03. Pop Goes The World - Men Without Hats
04. No Myth - Michael Penn
05. You Don't Want Me Anymore - Steel Breeze
06. Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
07. It's Still Rock & Roll To Me - Billy Joel
08. Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
09. Rapture - Blondie
10. What Have You Done For Me Lately - Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
11. I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz
12. Blue Monday - New Order
13. Always Something There To Remind Me - Naked Eyes
14. Puttin' On The Ritz - Taco
15. Better Be Good To Me - Tina Turner
16. They Don't Know - Tracey Ullman
17. Tainted Love - Soft Cell
18. 867-5309/Jenny - Tommy Tutone
19. Mickey - Toni Basil
20. Cause I'm A Blonde - Julie Brown
21. Little Too Late - Pat Benatar
22. The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em) - Greg Kihn Band
This one is a whole heap of hoppin' fun - combining all those great early 80's New Romantic and synth pop - this is stomping and fun all the way through. Of course there's some rock and roll to throw it into a compilation blitz - it also contains a ton of very popular songs from the era that didn't make it onto my list, but makes it onto everyone else's list and compilations. The strange yet alluring Taco, Toni Basil, Julie Brown, Tracey Ullman and ultimate fan favs Soft Cell, Naked Eyes and Q Feel - plus bonafide excellance from my girl Benatar, Blondie, New Order and the Violent Femmes who would've made the list had the song ever been a single. Oh and so much more.
And because I know kitsch and its ultimate power here's an mp3 for my ultimate theme song:
Julie Brown - Cause I'm A Blonde
Next time we'll look at volumes 7 and 8 and all the fun we'll have!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home